PDA

View Full Version : Are LPG Autogas Tanks Bulletproof?

NP99
7th September 2014, 07:11 PM
This web site provides the proof, some good shooting by the police :)

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/724-are-lpg-autogas-tanks-bulletproof

FNQGU
7th September 2014, 08:39 PM
Hahaha, - pyro! We all have a bit of it in us I reckon.

In a previous job I had the opportunity to watch a caravan with a 9kg gas tank burn to the ground. The tank got soooo hot that it expanded to the point that it looked like a football, but it didn't go bang like we all expected. The Fire brigade arrived in time to cool it all down, but it was a bit of a let down.

I also once was present when a massive pile of vegetation was being set alight. It was piled about as high as the top of a roof-rack, with a 108kg nearly empty gas bottle underneath it and turned on to allow gas to slowly permeate the pile. On top of the pile were three 20litre drums of Avgas. These were shot full of holes from about a hundred metres away, and then a flaming arrow was fired into the pile. (Boys on the piss...)

There was a massive whoosh and flame over from the LPG that then engulfed the whole pile instantly! Awesome fun, but no explosion. The gas bottle was nearly empty when it went in, and at the end of the fire, it was still spitting flame, and was looking like a sausage, but it didn't explode either. Bloody strong!!

NP99
7th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I was a myth buster in my youth.... :)

mudnut
7th September 2014, 09:09 PM
I have spoken to a local that was trying to save his mothers house from a bushfire only a couple of years ago. He told me he saw a neighbour's house burst into flames and a while later, the gas bottle exploded and landed across the road. So it must be different circumstances which can cause an explosion.

megatexture
7th September 2014, 09:40 PM
Myth busters did one on cylinders like in the movie jaws shooting it in a shipping container. obviously scuba tanks aren't flammable but they fixed that lol

Irish
9th September 2014, 08:23 PM
Hmmmm, guess this answers the question of what I'm going to do with the gas tank out of the maverick and the two boxes of ex mil 303 rounds I've got in the safe...

NP99
9th September 2014, 08:27 PM
Hmmmm, guess this answers the question of what I'm going to do with the gas tank out of the maverick and the two boxes of ex mil 303 rounds I've got in the safe...

If nothing else it makes good video :)

Hodge
9th September 2014, 08:27 PM
I've followed a Pajero with an LPG tank at the back sitting way lower than it's rear diff. Needless to say, bulletproof or not bulletproof, I don't think it would end too well, if he straddled a rock or something and hit it...