PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Whistle

mojo53
5th September 2014, 06:25 PM
After upgrading my TD42 Turbo and adding a 3" exhaust it developed a very nice Whistle when accelerating, i noticed it straight away after picking it and driving home up the freeway.
Thing is why after the upgrade, is it better flow or what?"

nissannewby
5th September 2014, 06:35 PM
What was the upgrade?

Having no muffler will help make the whistle louder.

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2014, 07:41 PM
What was the upgrade? Having no muffler will help make the whistle louder.

He said " getting a 3" zorst "

kevin07
6th September 2014, 08:50 AM
that's just your turbo being relaxed and enjoying itself.

mojo53
6th September 2014, 02:08 PM
United Fuel Injection in Perth do exchange modified original Turbo's for 4.2's they are not really keen on anything smaller than the 4.2 (don't know why), i believe they make whatever is inside bigger, intake,bore,fan whatever? not 100% sure they said they just make all bigger so it will work like is supposed to and along with a 3" dump pipe and 3" pipe work with mufflers then Dyno tune the the lot, and the difference is magic. They gave me a graph of before upgrade and after upgrade dyno tune with all the technical stuff so you can see the improvements, if i can find the graph i will post it here and maybe some Guru can see if it was worth the effort and cost but i am very happy with the results.
The exchange was $1700 + complete new 3" system and that was about 5 years ago, my mate went in for the same fix but got the new fix which was an even bigger alternative non genuine Turbo with all the trimmings and a double air scoop on the bonnet to make it work, a lot more money of coarse but i was very happy with what i had and left it at that.

Patrolling Paddy
7th September 2014, 10:46 AM
The mods to the turbo combined with the larger exhaust will let you hear what used to be hidden.
UFI do good work with the TD42s and I would think you will remain happy. Their upgrades are good but their AM turbo set ups are really nice, as your mate is likely to be smiling about

mojo53
7th September 2014, 10:47 PM

Just found original Dyno tune report from United Fuel Injection (hope it uploaded ok) and yes he is very happy with his new setup i might have gone with one of those but they were not available when i had mine done and i was happy with what i had, did you get one of the aftermarket Kits Paddy i would like to see the Dyno tune report of one of those and compare the difference.

gubigfish
8th September 2014, 02:21 AM
I miss that whistle in my GU, in my GQ its very noticeable

Patrolling Paddy
8th September 2014, 11:52 AM

Just found original Dyno tune report from United Fuel Injection (hope it uploaded ok) and yes he is very happy with his new setup i might have gone with one of those but they were not available when i had mine done and i was happy with what i had, did you get one of the aftermarket Kits Paddy i would like to see the Dyno tune report of one of those and compare the difference.

I'm not running the UFI kit but it is on my list, I have seen a few rigs with the setup and seen the results they are getting in the comp scene.
If you can find a dyno readout of one of their big kW set ups you will see how much different it is to what yours is. Easy 200kw can be had with the right mods and they are getting massive torque to go with it

Stropp
8th September 2014, 07:28 PM
I'm not running the UFI kit but it is on my list, I have seen a few rigs with the setup and seen the results they are getting in the comp scene.
If you can find a dyno readout of one of their big kW set ups you will see how much different it is to what yours is. Easy 200kw can be had with the right mods and they are getting massive torque to go with it

they are getting upward of 300kw with a lot of money thrown at the engine :)

nissannewby
8th September 2014, 07:34 PM
they are getting upward of 300kw with a lot of money thrown at the engine :)

300hp. I dont believe they have cracked the 300kw yet. They have gotten to about 350hp though.