PDA

View Full Version : TB42 into a GU??? Seriously. ideas please

snakey1989
4th September 2014, 05:14 PM
I know it seems weird, but here goes.
I bought a 98 GU with a late series TD42T in it, got it cheap (read rough condition)
I am pulling the donk and box out to put into my GQ,
easy as.

My question is, is it a feasible option to put my TB42 in it to sell it on and recoup some of my money???
I know technically its illegal due to emissions, but I will put the gas in it too to keep it legal.
What would be required to make the tacho work?
And what would I have to change in the way of fuel lines? Any ideas?
Will power steering pumps interchange?
hmmm.
Hope I can get about 12k for it with the TB42 in it, should do seeing as its 2" body lift, 3" suspension.
Rear bar and twin tyre carriers, sliders, scrub bars, 33's, b/bar, dual batts, dual fuel...
dept. of interiors centre console, 240K on it.

whats your thinking???

liftlid
4th September 2014, 05:31 PM
Could you really get 12 k for a 16 year old rough , petrol GU ????

happygu
4th September 2014, 05:54 PM
Sell the GQ, and with the money made from the sale, fix up the GU, which will ( in good nick ) command a much higher sell price than the GQ

Winnie
4th September 2014, 06:06 PM
You'd probably get more parting out the GU and you don't have to worry about putting a motor in it

Clunk
4th September 2014, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure you're no going to be able to legally put a TB42 into a GU (as GUs didn't come out with a TB42) as you are wanting to put an older donk into a newer car, unless it's possible to get it engineered and mod plated.
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Drewboyaus
4th September 2014, 08:01 PM
You would need to find a way to make it emissions compliant (difficult) or it can't be registered which will mean there is no way in hell you'll sell it (unless for a comp truck) let alone get 12k for it.
Like Winnie said, I'd consider parting it out......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

snakey1989
5th September 2014, 02:55 PM
Hey.
I was hoping LPG would bring it to emissions standards, but a little more research shows I wont get anywhere near the 10-12 I would have liked...
On gas, no engineering would be required, and gas certification would be easy (I am a qualified Auto gas fitter myself)
but yeah...
Maybe that wasn't as good of a deal as thought, but still, it was a cheap low milage factory turbo donk and all the fit up kit! :-)
Anyone near the Snowy Mtns that might like a rolling shell, or parts, feel free to hit me up.
Will post pics and parts list in the buy/swap when I get a chance.
Sunday maybe.

snakey1989
5th September 2014, 02:58 PM
And I would have sold the GQ and kept the GU, but I really REALLY prefer the GQ shape and style, plus I have everything except the powertrain up to scratch.
Seeing as the GU had a front air locker, that will go well with my factory rear locker.
Although, its a shame about the different track widths, would love to have slipped the whole front diff in mine, but there is no way I was parting with my rear locker. Too reliable!

Winnie
5th September 2014, 03:01 PM
And I would have sold the GQ and kept the GU, but I really REALLY prefer the GQ shape and style, plus I have everything except the powertrain up to scratch.
Seeing as the GU had a front air locker, that will go well with my factory rear locker.
Although, its a shame about the different track widths, would love to have slipped the whole front diff in mine, but there is no way I was parting with my rear locker. Too reliable!

You're mad if you don't do the diff swap! The rear LSD in a Patrol is amazing. The stronger axles, extended track width and a massive brake upgrade would outweigh the rear locker for sure!

threedogs
5th September 2014, 03:08 PM
As winnie said do the diff swap heaps of ppl up grade their GQ diffs to GU units.
while they are out don't forget to laminate them as well

Drewboyaus
5th September 2014, 03:50 PM
X2 what Winnie said again mate. Swap those bad boys over. That upgrade for sure would be better than the rear locker on it's own.....and you'll be getting one in the front anyway.
I'd then save up and add a rear airlocker at a later date.....happy days. That would be a beast of a GQ!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner