PDA

View Full Version : 1998 GU 4.5L with Auto Box

Bob
4th September 2014, 01:40 PM
I have always driven Manuals in the Patrols that I have owned and I am biased in that direction however I am looking at an Auto for my Daughter and her husband.

What are your thoughts on the Auto in the GU's ????

jff45
4th September 2014, 01:54 PM
More importantly, what do your daughter and son in law think about autos..

Bob
4th September 2014, 01:57 PM
More importantly, what do your daughter and son in law think about autos..

I am asking more about the reliabilty of the Autos in the GU.
They have driven Autos in the past in other vehicles

lhurley
4th September 2014, 03:02 PM
The autos are fine. They need a reco at about 250, but other then that they are great.

jff45
4th September 2014, 04:01 PM
They're known to be a strong box and there are lots of options out there to make them stronger.
I fitted a Transgo shift kit to mine and run Castrol Transmaxz synthetic fluid. Also fitted a Davies Craig cooler and a temp gauge.
I also did the line pressure mod.

NissanGQ4.2
4th September 2014, 04:29 PM
Hi Bob

Although I have no experience with a GU I believe they run the same auto gearbox as the GQ which is the Jaco RE4R03A, I love my GQ auto and would never contemplate ever buying or changing it 2 manual, hence why I rebuild mine.

If its been looked after than they will have no issues but like anything if its been neglected you will end up with issues and I believe its a fair tad more expensive 2 repair than a manual.

And as stated there are options out there 2 make them stronger. If there going 2 be doing a lot of towing of something weighty I would highly recommend fitting a Davies Craig cooler and a temp gauge.

katwoman
4th September 2014, 09:34 PM
Hey Bob, you may remember Katrol the first was an auto.I dont know any of the technical stuff but, Daily driving and towing were fine.. In the bush, a far different story. Always riding the brake. maybe that was partially the petrol engine too. I think Belzi's is auto, she always had her foot on the brake too. So, it probably depends on what it's going to be used for.

NissanGQ4.2
4th September 2014, 10:09 PM
In the bush, a far different story. Always riding the brake. maybe that was partially the petrol engine too. I think Belzi's is auto, she always had her foot on the brake too.

Very true that, I was also always on my brakes sitting behind manuals that were cruising down without needing 2 brake.

This can also be overcome with reduction gears though.

As Kat said really depends on what its going 2 be used for

aussiedozer
8th September 2014, 04:12 PM
Hey Bob,
I own a '98 GU 4.5L auto and find it a really good truck to drive. Little heavy on the fuel, but other than that, i love it.
Steep decents are a bit of a pain as you need to stand on the brakes sometimes, but other than that, i find the auto gets me through alot easier than some of my other mates in manuals.
cheers Tony

Bob
9th September 2014, 07:35 AM
Just a update my Daughter has purchased the 1998 4.5L Auto. I test drove the vehicle for them and it was one of the best kept GU's of that age I have seen. The Auto was great in heavy traffic and as there 4WDriving will mainly be on major tracks it should be quite OK for them. In fact I might pinch it now and then.
Thanks for your input people

threedogs
9th September 2014, 07:40 AM
I have 210k on my auto and it gets serviced once a year,
no oil leaks still as new IMO.
My Auto guy warned against putting the manual set up on I as it was a daily driver..
Who am I to say different he does this for a living

jff45
9th September 2014, 11:09 AM
My Auto guy warned against putting the manual set up on I as it was a daily driver..
Who am I to say different he does this for a living

What do mean by "manual set up"?

threedogs
9th September 2014, 12:58 PM
you can make up a small loom and tap into the auto system, via a momentary button for when you stop.
From what I've read you can achieve better fuel consumption too, basically drive like a manual
Have a search ,heaps written about it

jff45
9th September 2014, 02:23 PM
I know what 'manualising' the trans is. I just wanted to be sure you didn't mean the manual TC lockup..

NP99
10th September 2014, 09:20 AM
you can make up a small loom and tap into the auto system, via a momentary button for when you stop.
From what I've read you can achieve better fuel consumption too, basically drive like a manual
Have a search ,heaps written about it

I learn something new everyday...... :)