PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Problems!

pad
4th September 2014, 09:49 AM
So basically last week my shorty was running mint. Its a 1988 4.2L diesel. I was getting 30 psi boost with no problems.

Last weekend I got bogged really badly which lead to me snapping a CV and getting pretty hot under the hood. I got the truck running and replaced my cv and now my boost maxes out at 20psi and I have a leak in my rear main seal.

Does anyone have any ideas on why Ive lost boost and if I need to do the rear main seal urgently or if I can leave it for a while as the leak is very small.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers

NissanGQ4.2
4th September 2014, 05:37 PM
Bumping this thread up

AB
4th September 2014, 07:22 PM
Do you have an intercooler?

I would first check all hoses and clamps from turbo to inlet manifold, even check the inlet manifold make sure everything is tight. Even get a smoke test if you are completely lost.

My first guess is a boost leak through piping and if you have an ic check the condition of that, any cracks, etc?

paulyg
4th September 2014, 07:42 PM
Hey Andy I hope he has an intercooler, running 30psi without one might not be a good idea.

pad
4th September 2014, 08:00 PM
Do you have an intercooler?

I would first check all hoses and clamps from turbo to inlet manifold, even check the inlet manifold make sure everything is tight. Even get a smoke test if you are completely lost.

My first guess is a boost leak through piping and if you have an ic check the condition of that, any cracks, etc?
Yea got a big intercooler. Thats what I was thinking aswell I had a look over it and couldnt see any obvious blockages ect but there must be someting somewhere!
Cheers

AB
4th September 2014, 08:03 PM
Yea got a big intercooler. Thats what I was thinking aswell I had a look over it and couldnt see any obvious blockages ect but there must be someting somewhere!
Cheers

It's almost a given mate unless you knocked the boost controller (if you have one) or played with actuator arm etc.

Could also check the little hose that runs there in case it's come off?

pad
4th September 2014, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing somethings blocked or come loose, happened right after I thrashed it to get try to get out of a window deep hole of mud.. Will give everything another good look over tomorrow

AB
4th September 2014, 08:20 PM
I'm guessing somethings blocked or come loose, happened right after I thrashed it to get try to get out of a window deep hole of mud.. Will give everything another good look over tomorrow

You've checked your snorkel, airbox, filter...nothing's come in and restricting air?

nissannewby
4th September 2014, 10:52 PM
Much black smoke now its only making 20psi?

Aircleaner could be full of crud.

AB
7th September 2014, 04:37 PM
How did you go with this?

Yendor
7th September 2014, 05:19 PM
Also check your exhaust system. Make sure it's not squashed or blocked.