PDA

View Full Version : Hi, potentially new patrol owner soon!!

SG1
3rd September 2014, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Reason for joining the forum is we are currently in the process of looking for our first patrol. We have to sell our Navara ZD30 first but with a growing family and misses refusing to drive a manual the Patrol seems a very good choice for us. We do a fair bit of fishing and try to get out camping as much as possible so generally put the 4wd to good use but nothing really serious, the added comfort of patrol also ticks a few boxes given our current D22 while very capable is a little hard on those longer trips.

My one concern with buying a used patrol given our price range it will be most likely a 04 GU III diesel auto is the engine problems Ive read about, and the high costs for a rebuild if it happens, I know we always here a lot more about the ones gone wrong but still is a concern, have read about some of the mods possible with ZD30 engines to help extend engine life but would be very interested to read on other users experience with this?

Anyway we are still keen on Patrol and hope its not a lucky dip when buying one in the 04-03 range?

Cheers and look forward to reading more and learning along the way.

JoeG
3rd September 2014, 12:24 PM
Hi Welcome
You are asking the right people in the right place
Sadly I don't know but some one will
Regards
Joe

threedogs
3rd September 2014, 12:31 PM
Hi mate and welcome, the 4.2TD would be the pick out of the GUs, latest being 2006. be sitting down when asking the price.
I have a 2004 never laid a spanner on it to date, fitted the "NADS" at 185Ks now on 210K, going like a cut cat and doesn't look like slowing down.
still getting around 12/100 Ks around town and 14-15 towing sitting on 110kph, I run 285 tyres the fuel would be better with 265s

Stropp
3rd September 2014, 01:43 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, the zd motors are renowned for trouble but as 3D said do the nads and clean your manifold and intercooler out and you should be ok.

pad
3rd September 2014, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum and goodluck finding a patrol!

Drewboyaus
3rd September 2014, 05:04 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Dhuck
3rd September 2014, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

AB
3rd September 2014, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd September 2014, 07:15 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

growler2058
3rd September 2014, 07:53 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Search NADS mate heaps of info here

Clunk
3rd September 2014, 08:29 PM
Welcome aboard mate and good luck with the search

Sherro
3rd September 2014, 09:12 PM
G'day mate welcome to the forum.

SG1
3rd September 2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome, not sure at this stage which way to go, either go to a car auction and try n get something better cheaper, or wait until the right one comes along at the right price, or there is one 04 ZD30 auto that is pretty much set up with about 250 tho k's on it with nads, lift, needle valves ect ect pretty much everything except a winch for mid 18k, a lot of money but then given the amount of mods and money spent already??? it could be ok, so a lot to weigh up and don't mind getting in and doing some mods myself, so maybe a stock patrol and slowly when the finance minister of fun and money allows do it myself? Any thoughts on current options?

my third 256
4th September 2014, 08:46 AM
G'day mate welcome to the forum

Snow Patrol
4th September 2014, 04:26 PM
Welcome and good luck. Just converted to a patrol myself and love it.

Snow Patrol
5th September 2014, 03:31 PM
Depends on your budget. Plenty of Patrols on Pickles auctions web site. Nice one for 30g fixed price with 40thou on it in Melbourne. Not auto though. I was going to go the auction route myself but found what I wanted in Adelaide. Used car market is tough at the moment you could end up with a bargain. Aim high, bargain hard and be prepared to walk away if they wont meet your price. Always surprises me how salesmen can find an extra few thou on a trade.

Dave_H
5th September 2014, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, lots of useful information on here aswell as a wealth of knowledge from it's members.

Good luck with the search mate.