PDA

View Full Version : Winch solenoid HELP?????

krbrooking
2nd September 2014, 12:36 PM
Well I am trying to wire up my solid state solenoid and for the life of me cant figure out what I am doing wrong. As far as my understanding goes (which is limited) I have wired it up correctly according to the drawings I have.

These are the drawings I have.

1) 48860 2) 48862 3) 48863

And these are the winch and solenoid, the winch is a warn9500lbs & the solenoid is a tigerz11.

4) 48865 5) 48859 6) 48864

DRW 2 is the one that came with the solenoid.
Now my control/remote only has three wires coming out so I assume it is live,FWD & reverse, no earth??? But according to DRW 2 there should be a 4th?????
DRW 3 is downloaded from the net and also contradicts the way DRW 2 is.
I am also not sure if the way I have the winch drawn (DRW 5/6) up is correct as I have gone off DRW 1 which is also downloaded and is the opposite way.
I gave up then as I am worried that I am going to burn something out and s#^% will then hit the fan.

If someone is able two dumb it down (to pre school) level that would be awesome. I would like to get it done before this big meet for obvious reasons!!!!

What I dont understand is according to DRW 2 F2 goes from swich to solenoid and from solenoid to batt +, as far as I understood F1 & F2 were in/out. why would you run F2 straight to the batt??
I have also swapped F1 and A(armature) and when I connected the batt to F2 on the solenoid the winch spooled out without operating the switch. when I connected to F1 it shorted with F1 and A swapped.

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2014, 12:48 PM
Drawing 3 is the one i would be using. although pic 2 and 3 are the same but just presented a different way. pic 3 is easier to read i think.

When your hot wring the winch do you have the earth connected too? surely?

Using a Jump pack or battery connect to the earth on the winch motor.

Then the circuit is from the Armature to each of the F1 and F2 for direction. So connect the battery to the Armature A and then you should be able to jump from your A to F1 for one direction and from A to F2 for the opposite direction (From memory - I had to do this bench test a couple of years ago but think that is right)

doka404
2nd September 2014, 01:16 PM
Dumb question, but have you got the terminals on the winch motor right? to me it looks like the terminal you have marked as F1 should be the Armature? it is on my Warn...Just looks like it seeing as they have made the terminal different with the red washer/ring on it.

Drewboyaus
2nd September 2014, 05:34 PM
^^ I agree. The one you have marked as F1 looks like it should be A (armature).

krbrooking
2nd September 2014, 05:44 PM
Daz if you have a close look drw 2 has the pos coming from batt on the same loop as F2 with a neg going from solenoid to batt but drw 3 has F2 on a different loop all together. Yes I do have the winch earthed straight to the batt and one from winch to solenoid as shown in drw2.

Dokka
Like I said in the first post I did swap F1 with A and that is when I was able to get the winch to spool out without activating the switch.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2014, 05:47 PM
I just checked my HiMount and the guys are right your F1 is A

doka404
2nd September 2014, 06:49 PM
I don't know if this helps..but the attached pic is a wiring diagram from the solenoid I put in mine..different type but may help make sense of what you have to do as they basically all wire up the same way.

Some other info that may help make sense of it all is this..explains why swapping F1 and A gave some success..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/142.jpg

When I did mone I started with the Winch to Solenoid/bat wiring and then nutted out how to work out the rest..just took a bit of time and a bit of reading to understand what happens when you press the button and then it all came together..

krbrooking
2nd September 2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the response fellas will give it a go again to morn and see what happens.

the evil twin
2nd September 2014, 07:11 PM
The terminals on the motor in Pic 5 are labelled incorrectly.
Being a WARN the terminals should have the ID stamped on the case.
F1 label is actually the armature
F2 label is actually F1 and
A label is actually F2

I think the terminals on the 4 point contactor in piccy 4 are possibly incorrect as well BUT I haven't ever done a Tigerz11 contactor
If it was any of the ones I am familiar with then...
A terminal (contactor) should connect to F1, the real F1 (motor)
F1 (contactor) to Armature (motor)
F2 looks correct so F2 (contactor) to the real F2 terminal (motor
BL (contactor) to Battery positive

Thats my SWAG anyway

doka404
2nd September 2014, 07:13 PM
had a go at working your diagram that came with the solenoid out so excuse my squiggles on it but may make more sense..not 100% sure if I got the controller wiring right though..

krbrooking
2nd September 2014, 08:30 PM
Yeh my control only has 3 terminals and I think it is power input on one then the two output for fwd and reverse. Am I right in thinking that.

doka404
2nd September 2014, 08:46 PM
Yeh my control only has 3 terminals and I think it is power input on one then the two output for fwd and reverse. Am I right in thinking that.

that's in.. Socket Power, Winch In and Winch out.

krbrooking
3rd September 2014, 08:11 PM
So I have finally got it working, thanks everyone for their help.

This is how it ended up working out.

This is the winch

The solenoid

And the switch configurations.

The last couple is how and where I fixed it.

sooty_10
3rd September 2014, 08:28 PM
Good work mate, glad you got it sorted before the meet-up. Saves me having to pull you out ;)

doka404
4th September 2014, 07:49 AM
Good work mate. Glad you got it all working!

krbrooking
4th September 2014, 01:54 PM
Now to try and get this bar back on by myself...... Fun fun.

Bloodyaussie
4th September 2014, 05:33 PM
Want a hand..... glad you got it sorted.

krbrooking
4th September 2014, 05:37 PM
Cheers man will see how I go, if you can do it by yourself with a nacked back I should be able to.

mudski
4th September 2014, 07:04 PM
Now to try and get this bar back on by myself...... Fun fun.

You might be surprised how easy it is to get the bar back on by yourself. If its anything like my GU, you can rest the bar mounts on the chassis and then just bolt it up. Just pretend you are at the gym doing a dead lift with the bar.... All I need for my winch to finish it off is the terminal boots for the motor... But no one seems to have them...

krbrooking
4th September 2014, 08:16 PM
Yeh the only prob is mine does not sit on the chassis it is bolted on the sides.

mudski
4th September 2014, 09:43 PM
Ahh So does mine but it has a plate on the top section so it can sit on the chassis rail. sing out if ya need a hand.