PDA

View Full Version : Airbox ideas please...?

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 05:24 PM
I have been told just using the TD42 pre cleaner is not good and also been told that the other more common after market boxes are not what they are cracked up to be.... what are my options for a good airbox??

I am running stock set up until I get it inspected then putting on a turbo.

Clunk
1st September 2014, 05:29 PM
got a ZD30 airbox with a K&N filter on mine, I'm definitely no expert but seems to do the job.

rkinsey
1st September 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi BA,

Im looking into one of these for my RD28T as well as my 4.0lt V6 Ford Explorer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300895319427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheers,

Rob

nissannewby
1st September 2014, 05:43 PM
Depends on where you want to go with the mods on the td?

Chappy
1st September 2014, 05:44 PM
I have a mate who's an amazing stainless worker and lives just down the road from us. He's making me up a full stainless 4" through the bonnet snorkel and Patroldocta cylinder style airbox. I will get him to make up my intercooler piping when the time comes too.

I'm sure he could help you out if need be.

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 05:45 PM
Reliable tourer and odd play... not a 200kw beast.

nissannewby
1st September 2014, 06:14 PM
Reliable tourer and odd play... not a 200kw beast.

How many kw beast do you want? How much do you want to spend? Do you want to make one yourself? Or do you want to try and adapt a box from another model of car?

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 06:25 PM
100-120 maybe........... Dont want to go nuts just want something reliable and easy to maintain..

Those K&N ones posted... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300895319...84.m1423.l2649 look like an easy mod but I dont know about the airflow on them and also see them getting blocked rather quickly?

I have had dunnydoor air boxes mentioned .

But I do like river crossing so want something that can cope?

nissannewby
1st September 2014, 06:32 PM
100-120kw or you only want to spend $100-120?

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 06:33 PM
kilowatts... is that reasonable??

Ben-e-boy
1st September 2014, 06:44 PM
150kw is great as an allrounder IMO,

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 06:48 PM
150kw is great as an allrounder IMO,

Ok so lets say 150kw...... airbox ideas without going stupid !!!!

nissannewby
1st September 2014, 06:50 PM
kilowatts... is that reasonable??

Yes it is. 4by fabrication do a nice panel filter setup. Even on a standard td42t a 4" intake all the way to the turbo is a benefit. If you want to use a cylindrical style box then you need to have at the very minimum 30mm clearance all the way around the element.

Family4x4
1st September 2014, 09:29 PM
I will be replacing the second airbox (top of motor) on mine soon to fit the turbo, you can have it if the timing is right.

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 09:44 PM
I got a mint one of them yesterday with a k&n filter... $20.. bargain.

Chappy
1st September 2014, 09:50 PM
How much are you looking to spend? Since you already have the through the guard snorkel you could easily get a ZD30 style one fabbed up.

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 09:52 PM
Not sure yet as the budget is now shrunk...lol.

I will know how much I have left in a couple of weeks?

Chappy
1st September 2014, 10:01 PM
Yeah sweet shoot me a text when you find out and I can put you onto my mate. I'm about to go out and tackle that oil leak...

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2014, 10:31 PM
I got a mint one of them yesterday with a k&n filter... $20.. bargain.

That's the same as the one I gave you yeah? Just with a filter in it already?

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 11:36 PM
That's the same as the one I gave you yeah? Just with a filter in it already?

And cleaner and with the tube between the air boxes. ...lol

Patrolling Paddy
7th September 2014, 04:15 PM
Looking into the same. GQ TD42 a/m turbo and w2a i/c and DieselGas.
Not currently running big power (130kw) but need to upgrade the intake to allow it to give me the best delivery it can on a stock pump as I think it is starving currently. Safari snorkel stock pre filter only and a crappy 3" filter-turbo pipe.
Looking at the patroldocta 4" snorkel and box and wanted your thoughts on if they are worth it?
I will eventually upgrade the pump and full turbo and I/c setup chasing the 200kw mark but baby steps for now.
Is there a better off the shelf setup available?

Scorpiovee
8th September 2014, 09:28 AM
My first patrol was a 1990 DX 4.2 natural. Fitted a turbo to increase power, kept both the pre cleaner and air cleaner, modified the air cleaner to accept air intake on drivers side and ran a front mounted intercooler. Had almost 1M Kms on it when an oil filter collapsed

rkinsey
12th September 2014, 11:56 PM
I have been told just using the TD42 pre cleaner is not good and also been told that the other more common after market boxes are not what they are cracked up to be.... what are my options for a good airbox??

I am running stock set up until I get it inspected then putting on a turbo.

Hey BA.

While doing some research for parts on my Explorer, I was watching a show called Extreme 4x4 from the US and they just installed one of these Spectre Air Cleaners on a Jeep which has a supper charger installed - http://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=9833#specifications

Here is one from ebay that is not a bad price - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171445065043?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

They then added a snokel to the kit.

If a supercharger can handle them then I think the TD42 should be ok.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Rob

Patrolling Paddy
13th September 2014, 09:51 PM
For a mild setup driven daily in an orderly fashion I haven't had an issue with my intake setup, however now I am a bit more demanding it is lacking and feels very asthmatic. 3" just isn't enough for the 4.2 when under stress in my opinion and this is why I am chasing 4". That spectre thing without being rude looks like puss and running a 3" filter is very limiting for this engine.
Have a look at the higher performance TD42s and the size of the filters required to stop the turbo starving.

nissannewby
13th September 2014, 10:46 PM
For a mild setup driven daily in an orderly fashion I haven't had an issue with my intake setup, however now I am a bit more demanding it is lacking and feels very asthmatic. 3" just isn't enough for the 4.2 when under stress in my opinion and this is why I am chasing 4". That spectre thing without being rude looks like puss and running a 3" filter is very limiting for this engine.
Have a look at the higher performance TD42s and the size of the filters required to stop the turbo starving.

Your logic is correct. That setup is puss and would even be restrictive in its application. It might be ok if you only ever drive it on the road but with a filter that small as soon as it saw any dust it would become even more restrictive.

There are a couple of good options available now with the likes of 4by fabricatiom, fatz fabricatiom and radius fabrication all doing nice units that are 4" in and out.

If you want to build your own then a good rule to follow is use the least amount of directional changes, use a nice panel filter with a good surface area and each side of the box if possible needs to be the same capacity as the engine so 4.2L.

threedogs
14th September 2014, 09:38 AM
Hey BA.

While doing some research for parts on my Explorer, I was watching a show called Extreme 4x4 from the US and they just installed one of these Spectre Air Cleaners on a Jeep which has a supper charger installed - http://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=9833#specifications

Here is one from ebay that is not a bad price - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171445065043?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

They then added a snokel to the kit.

If a supercharger can handle them then I think the TD42 should be ok.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Rob
Great show its amazing whats available "off the shelf"
that air cleaner came with a fully cast alloy snorkel too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300895319427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
maybe plumb this back into the cabin, nice clean air

nissannewby
14th September 2014, 07:18 PM
To small. 4" even for a zd30 if you could.

threedogs
16th September 2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASH-Carbon-Fibre-Airbox-Performance-Air-Filter-to-Suit-NISSAN-PATROL/261438795735?_trksid=p3984.c100052.m2206&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140131105218%26meid%3D7aad3444231649a68d9 c7b406fae4718%26pid%3D100052%26prg%3D2014013110521 8%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D300895319427
This may be worth looking at

nissannewby
16th September 2014, 01:23 PM
Still to small.

rkinsey
16th September 2014, 02:27 PM
Still to small.

Why are these too small nissannewby?

3" and 4" inlets and K & N filters will still move the same amount of air as VN commodore airbox would (or anything similar)

If the supercharger on that Jeep can handle it then so could the turbo charger on the TD42. I don't see any restrictions here myself.

Like I said, Just a thought.

nissannewby
16th September 2014, 03:31 PM
The items 3d posted are to small. Even for a zd30 if you are serious about having as little restriction as possible to aid the turbo and its response.

Its about the relationship between the box and the filter. You also want a good amount of surface area when an engine demands a large volume of air. If a pod in a box is what you want to use then you need to use the absolute largest pod you can and the box design needs to allow a minimum of 30mm clearance all the way around.

Yes it can handle it but it would hurt performance if you were chasing more from that supercharger setup. Even as it sits it would be quite restrictive and this is why they possibly use a k&n filter. A k&n filters better at higher air speeds than most others and a little filter like that spectre one would be seeing some pretty high air speeds.

As for our diesel our air requirements are double that of the same sized petrol engine when both are in NA trim. Now your talking a 4.0 jeep petrol supercharged compared to our td42 turbocharged and again we will pretty much need near double the air requirement.

Believe it or not if you ran a 4" snorkel to a nice 4" inlet and outlet airbox with a good design and 4" all the way to inlet of your turbo on the mighty 2.8 you would see gains in response and torque.

rkinsey
16th September 2014, 04:33 PM
I getcha nissannewby, and agree that the diesel requires more air input than a petrol engine.

There are 4" pods available and I have seen similar setups from patroldocta (I think) with their custom aluminium airbox. But I wouldnt pay the $500.00 price tag I have seen them for. Lets face it, we are just trying to filter air, not give it a luxury cruise.

I am looking for an alternative to the factory airbox on the RD28T and agree that more air in equals better power numbers. But it also needs a balance between in and out.

Finding these carbon airboxes from off the shelf at the prices they are selling them at looked like a viable option.

More research required.

Cheers,

Rob

nissannewby
16th September 2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah you could make one yourself if your handy.

Even air filtration can benefit from a nice free flowing low restriction induction system cos if you can get the air speed at the filter nice and low like 4m/s or less than the filter has much more of a chance to filter almost all contaminants.

nissannewby
16th September 2014, 06:14 PM
And im just offering advice on the more ideal side of things.

If you wanted to rob grab yourself a vacuum gauge and throw it in your turbo inlet pipe. Then when you go down the track of something like you have posted then you can see if it has benefited your setup.

If you really wanted to splurge you could even grab a air speed measuring device and test in conjuction with the restriction.

JonnoDe
17th September 2014, 08:19 PM
Been thinking about changing the intake system on my sd33t. I'm running 10psi boost and I think the old style carby shaped top filter and prefilter on the side are robbing a fair bit of power. I've looked at a few on this post that seem good but what would be a good inlet and outlet for the 3.3? I don't feel as it it needs 4' but more room for air is always better

rkinsey
17th September 2014, 09:14 PM
And im just offering advice on the more ideal side of things.

If you wanted to rob grab yourself a vacuum gauge and throw it in your turbo inlet pipe. Then when you go down the track of something like you have posted then you can see if it has benefited your setup.

If you really wanted to splurge you could even grab a air speed measuring device and test in conjuction with the restriction.

Thanks NN,

I'm still in the planning stage of my rebuild at the moment so exploring all options really.

Engine is sitting on the stand and will be there a while (budgetary constraints and all that)

I'm definitely going to change out the factory airbox for the RD28T, just havnt found the righ unit yet.

Cheers,

Rob