PDA

View Full Version : smell of petrol in cabin

lufkin
31st August 2014, 07:29 PM
hi guys ive just purchased a GU TB45 and every morning the car, or just when cars been sitting for a few hours the cabin smells really bad of petrol, i have lifted the carpet in rear of car and inspected the top of pump, doesnt appear to be leaking, just wondering what else or where else to look. just concerned as have a toddler and 4 month old sitting in a car they is full of fumes :frown:

lufkin
10th May 2015, 12:40 PM
no one has experienced this?

Covo71
10th May 2015, 01:06 PM
Hi lufkin, not in the patrol had a falcon with the same thing. It ended up being a small split in the fuel line under the car. Wasn't till it was under pressure that it leaked. Dried up so did not see any fuel under the car.
Was it before or after the car is going? Probably nothing you can do but checking from the fuel tank to the front to see if you can see something, maybe running and not running. I could only see my leak when someone was in the seat putting some revs on. Sorry got nothing else for you.
Good luck.

4bye4
10th May 2015, 01:18 PM
I don't know this particular model, but do these have a vented fuel tank. If so check the vent hose and connections for leakage. Just a theory based on the fact that it is when the vehicle is standing. When running and drawing fuel there would be no pressure build up in the tank so no fumes.

lufkin
10th May 2015, 02:31 PM
its still doing it 9 months later, mechanics here are useless so have given up on them trying to find it, smells even worse once fueled up, like i can fill the car and go inside servo to pay then come back out to car and you would have swore i filled up the cabin with fuel and not the actual tank. i'll have to get someone under it and rev whilst i check or something, really frustrating as havnt had the kids in it once yet because its annoying me so much plus the smell is a instant headache

threedogs
10th May 2015, 02:44 PM
Do you think its coming fron the front or rear of your Patrol??
check the back wheel arches where the fuel lines go along the
top of the chassis sometimes they get cut there

the evil twin
10th May 2015, 05:02 PM
You may have to drop the tank and inspect the top, connections and seal on the sender unit.
Could be blocked vent
Could be a dodgy fuel cap
Agree with 3D, chase the fuel lines (esp the vent) thru the wheel arch for damage

threedogs
10th May 2015, 06:05 PM
Smelling Petrol is a bad safety issue, and would suggest you try and find it ASAP.
You dont want petrol dripping on your hot exhaust. Have an extingisher ready
when you start it up. Then follow the lines should be reasonable easy to see IMO
unless its on top of the tank.
My AUX tank leaked from the top, so I replaced it with a 75ltr Aux, problem fixed
Hope you find it without too much drama

OldHJ60Man
11th May 2015, 08:11 PM
Hi Lufkin
Funny thing you bought this up. I have a 1998 TB45 and last year we did a trip to the Flinders and Gammon Rangers.
Fairly hot and I was travelling with a full Aux tank at all times. All through the day, while we were doing the driving tracks, the smell of petrol was strong in the cabin. Never had it travelling to there from Qld or when we were travelling back home.
There was no sign of petrol stain anywhere nor any drips underneath as I stopped and looked a dozen times.
The only thing that stopped it was when I transfered the aux tank across to the main ?? Smell disappeared ?
And yet I can fill the aux tank back home here where it is considerably cooler and never a whif of fumes ?
Maybe the breather was clogged with dust or maybe there is a small weep at the top of the aux tank, don't know.
But no issues back here
Big Mystery !!
Russ