PDA

View Full Version : GQ Manual Locking Hub Disengaging over corugations??

richardharris51
31st August 2014, 03:56 PM
Hello Folks,

Having a bit of trouble with the drivers side manual locking hub on my 1992 GQ Patrol. I am in need of some advice as i have just arrived in Darwin and I am staying at a caravan park.

Today while engaged in the lock position and driving over corrugations it would slip and slowly move over towards 'free' I discovered the problem because i heard a clunk and got out to check and saw that it was further towards free than lock. After 10km i got out and checked again and it had moved approx 1cm away from the locked position.

Has anyone had this problem before and is there anything i can do to solve this

Thanks

Richard

ova50
31st August 2014, 04:37 PM
I had the same problem around the beginning of the year on my GU.
I removed the hub, cleaned and re-packed it with grease and hasn't played up since.

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2014, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem around the beginning of the year on my GU.
I removed the hub, cleaned and re-packed it with grease and hasn't played up since.

Yeah do that mate. Simple job to strip and clean.

richardharris51
31st August 2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply, so really all i need to do is undo the 6 hex bolts and slide off the first bit of the hub. clean this all with towels and degreaser then apply new grease?

Am i on the right track here or is it a bigger job than this?

cheers

Richard

ova50
31st August 2014, 07:35 PM
The pics are from the Gu workshop manual I have. (my vehicle has manual hubs, not auto hubs)

I just followed the workshop manual.
Set the hub up to "Free" and undone the 6 bolts and removed it.
It was quite simple.
I do not know if the hubs/ design are the same on the GQ.
Hope the pics & procedure helps.

FNQGU
31st August 2014, 10:25 PM
And use a bit of thread lock on those six hex-bolts once you have cleaned it all up. Nothing too strong, Locktite 222 or 242 perhaps.

I found my hex bolts had vibrated loose on heavy corrugations on Cape York during a routine check, and of course I hadn't packed an 8mm (?) Allen Key. All I could do was nip them up with a pair of pliers and check them constantly until I got to Weipa.

My hubs also have a cir-clip and two small stainless screws in there somewhere.