PDA

View Full Version : TD42 idle adjust

Dan.
29th August 2014, 09:24 AM
Hi guys,

My TD42 idles very low when cold and shacks the s#$t out of the car, I want to increase the idle a little, but don't know where the idle screw is, does somebody have a pic they can share pointing out the idle adjust.

Cheers

Dan

nissannewby
29th August 2014, 10:29 AM
What does it idle at when its warm?

If you trace the acelerator cable to the injector pump you will see a bolt in which the linkage stops on when at idle position just adjust that.

Family4x4
29th August 2014, 11:09 AM
Just use the hand throttle, pull it out a touch and lock it, Then when its warm push it back in.

nissannewby
29th August 2014, 11:18 AM
Just use the hand throttle, pull it out a touch and lock it, Then when its warm push it back in.

This is an option. However I feel as though there may be an under lying issue. It nearly sounds like the fuel is draining back overnight, air in the fuel on cold starts will equate to lower idle and the shaking he describes.

It could also be signs that the injector pump is starting to get a little worn.

Dan.
29th August 2014, 02:39 PM
Its got 276,000 k's so around what's the norm for a pump rebuild.

If it was air in the line would pumping the primer help the problem? once warm it runs perfect, plenty of power, there is no sign of leaking around the pump, the mav has been well looked after.

nissannewby
29th August 2014, 02:45 PM
Its got 276,000 k's so around what's the norm for a pump rebuild.

If it was air in the line would pumping the primer help the problem? once warm it runs perfect, plenty of power, there is no sign of leaking around the pump, the mav has been well looked after.

Yes on cold start up try pumping the primer. If the system is holding pressure and is air free it will be solid straight away, if air has entered then it will be able to be pumped. The rubber lines do get old and can perish and allow air in. Also check any hose clamps making sure they are doing a sufficient job.

You dont really have a great deal of kms on it but its getting up there for an original pump and there are other symptons if the pump is getting tired.

MuddyTroll
30th August 2014, 09:52 AM
It is the bolt at the top of the pic. It has a lock nut on it. I think I tracked down my "air leak" into the system. I believe it is the fuel return line from the injectors, top left of pic to the left of the idle adjustment. Hose is hard as. Just need some time and some tiny hose clamps.

Dan.
31st August 2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks muddy ;) massive help

Dan.
7th September 2014, 10:18 PM
So I had a good look at the idle adjust today and I can't get to it, compaired to the above pic I think I have a boost compensator over the idle adjust screw.

nissannewby
7th September 2014, 10:23 PM
Got a pic? I have a compensator and tps on mine and its still accessible.

Dan.
7th September 2014, 10:29 PM
Don't have a pic, I'll get one in the next few days.

MuddyTroll
8th September 2014, 08:08 AM
So I had a good look at the idle adjust today and I can't get to it, compaired to the above pic I think I have a boost compensator over the idle adjust screw.

Glad I was of some help. Dang boost compensator, you should pull it off and send to me ;)

Scorpiovee
8th September 2014, 10:19 AM
I had my old GQ behave the same way. Timing was out. Minute adjustment of the injector pump timing and all was good again.
Hopefully you'll have it sorted soon

Dan.
14th September 2014, 08:44 AM
Hi guys, finally had a few seconds to take a pic, first how do i get to the idle screw? second whats that on top of my IP, why does it look different to Muddy's pic above?4918849187

nissannewby
14th September 2014, 09:17 AM
If you have a small 1/4" socket set you can get onto the bolt that adjusts the idle. You should be able to get a spanner onto the lock nut. Its a little fiddly but doable.

That is a boost compensator. The idle just is still there and accessible just a little more tricky.

Dan.
23rd September 2014, 10:00 PM
Done, idles much smother now, but as mentioned above very fiddly. Thanks to all that commented.

Nissan1Patrol
23rd September 2021, 10:19 PM
Done, idles much smother now, but as mentioned above very fiddly. Thanks to all that commented.
Can you get a pic and show me the idle screw please, still can’t find it cheers