PDA

View Full Version : Portable fridge / freezer - Dual battery project

Beucam
28th August 2014, 03:07 PM
Hey,

Looking at buying ourselves a 12V portable fridge / freezer.
Knowing that Waeco is rather dear, and looking around have found a GIANT 100lt dual control fridge freezer - 2 separate compartments.
Using a Danfoss compressor which comes with a staggering 5 yr warranty and only just over $1K.

The next obvious project is dual battery. Would like to get Fridge out of the way so that I can then decide on battery size.
Would be great to hear from anyone who has had experience with this brand or know of someone who has.

Shane

gaddy
28th August 2014, 04:06 PM
No idea on that brand sorry , but since your in brisbane google getawaco , they are the factory seconds outlet , you might be surprised ,

TimE
28th August 2014, 04:08 PM
I would also be concerned about the amount of power a 100l fridge required to keep it going. People complain about the power consumption of 80l fridges.

MEGOMONSTER
28th August 2014, 04:13 PM
Waeco do consume a little more power than an Engel, but Engel being dearer needs to be considered.
For such a big fridge, perhaps a permanent solar panel, is a thought, but your already wanting cheaper products, so your in a pickle.

macca
28th August 2014, 04:23 PM
but your already wanting cheaper products, so your in a pickle.

That's the problem, good gear costs good coin.

Solar is a good suggestion with a decent charger / regulator it can do the dual battery control too, saves doubling up on pieces of kit to make it work properly.

Beucam
29th August 2014, 06:57 AM
I would also be concerned about the amount of power a 100l fridge required to keep it going. People complain about the power consumption of 80l fridges.
Looking at specs, 5Amp continous draw with total of 60W power.
Waeco 65lt specs state 5.4Amp continous and 65W of power.

Maxhead
29th August 2014, 07:16 AM

That current draw does not seem correct for the Waeco 65, from memory it was under 1 amp continuous/average use

EDIT: OK, I think the 5.4A is max draw (65/12=5.4)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48701&stc=1

BigRAWesty
29th August 2014, 07:57 AM

That current draw does not seem correct for the Waeco 65, from memory it was under 1 amp continuous/average use

EDIT: OK, I think the 5.4A is max draw (65/12=5.4)

Nisshead is correct your amp draw is low.
Max is 5.4, I was surprised about this when I bought mine..

You have to remember that's it's draw. You need to look at duty cycles for keeping a fridge at say 3 degrees..
My 50l waeco runs around the 30% to keep my foods cold. Of course I'm in a slightly colder climate than most but a 100l fridge will have to run for much longer per hour to keep the foods cold...

That is why you buy once buy right..
The waeco has great insulation, inbuilt 240 inverter, great size.
The unknown brands are unknown for a reason..

If it was my $1000 I'd buy waeco again as it's a long term investment..
And we did 2 weeks on the road with a 50.. You just pack smart..

megatexture
29th August 2014, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't even look at Engels over 50 ltr they are twice the weight of Waeco and that's empty, but I agree on buying a quality fridge it's not worth loosing food in a remote area or killing batteries because its inefficient as constantly replacing these will be more expensive in the end. We have a 80 ltr fridge freezer and go 3 weeks with that easily, I think 100 ltrs is overkill but just my opinion.

Tonks
29th August 2014, 12:23 PM
Don't buy a cheap look a like, spend the coin and buy a good one,
We have a 40 litre Engel & a 60 litre ARB, both are awesome fridges,
The 40 litre Engel for the cold cans & the 60 litre ARB for the rest,
Happy Days.

Drewboyaus
29th August 2014, 02:16 PM
My 60L ARB is a cracker!
Like the others have said, stick with one if the better branded and performing fridges. They are proven in the bush and not just on a spec sheet.
There's a good reason why people come back to buying a Waeco, Engel, ARB or National Luna etc. They work, are trusted and when set up right won't flatten your battery in a couple of hours.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

oncedisturbed
29th August 2014, 02:39 PM
Had a look at Anacondas Spinifex 52L combo last night. Not a bad looking unit as well, good part about this 1 is the power supply is on the opposite end to the lid opening.

I have the 50L Ironman icecube and the Waeco CF80 which both work very well and have done for the last 4-5 yrs without an issue