PDA

View Full Version : CB radio interference from car stereo

bindi
27th August 2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Folks

I have installed a GME Tx3100 80 channel CB radio, which works fantastic when the car stereo is turned off, but when I turn on the stereo the CB just crackles like crazy (like a squelch noise). I have taken the antenna cable out and re-routed it as I thought it might be passing too close to the back of the stereo, but its now way away from the car stereo and still has the interference. As soon as I turn off the stereo I have perfect CB again.

I have heard that I might need a 'suppressor' but would value your opinions on what to try next. I tow a caravan and also live on a logging trail so find the CB useful, but would also like to be able to listen the car stereo too.

A little more info is, I use a new 6dB uniden bull bar mounted antenna which came as part of a package.

The power source for the GME comes from a permanent live under the dash, and wondered if this might be the source of the interference, although I don't think this is linked to the car stereo.

What do you think is the most likely cause of the interference.

thanks all,
Mark

TPC
27th August 2014, 09:53 PM
I would suggest taking the power from the battery, connect the positive direct to the battery with a fuse and the negative to a good clean earth point close to the battery.

GQ TANK
28th August 2014, 09:42 PM
Try removing the antenna from the cb - if you are still getting the crackle - most likely power supply issue and a suppressor would help. Also run top the battery and move the earth - or run the earth to the chassis point near the battery.

If the noise has gone away - probably RFI interference from the radio

bindi
29th August 2014, 10:12 AM
thanks, trying a direct power source from battery today.

Yup, fixed,