PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Reverse Flush Options

Old Wal
27th August 2014, 07:48 PM
G' day all. Went to work this morning & decided to take the afternoon off - I have been very keen to fit my new radiator & associated bits so I made a start. All going well - old radiator out ( very blocked ) , went to undo thermostat housing so that I could flush system. 2 Bolts were "firm" but loosened easily, 3rd bolt "tight". I wasn't game to apply too much pressure for fear of snapping it off - is that likely to happen ? I can't afford to have my ute off the road too long as I use it for work.Then the in laws turned up & that was pretty much it for the day. My question is can I still reverse flush the cooling system some other way & replace my thermostat etc at a later time so that if the worst happens I can shuffle my work load around ?. Also what is the best technique to bleed the cooling system ? Removed fan & viscous clutch also - fan cracked in lots of places. Sorry my ute is a GU 4.2Tdi. Thanks Old Wal.

nissannewby
27th August 2014, 09:09 PM
You could reverse flush through the heater core as once it goes through the core it will be able to come out the inlet to the water pump. It wont be a perfect flush but it will work. I find the best way is to apply water in every direction you can.

Also a standard garden hose male to male adaptor fits perfectly in the heater hoses.

Old Wal
27th August 2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks nissannewby I will give it a go tomorrow. Any suggestions on bleeding system system ? Old Wal.

nissannewby
27th August 2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks nissannewby I will give it a go tomorrow. Any suggestions on bleeding system system ? Old Wal.

I usually just fill the system then start the car with the heater turned on and allow the engine to show temp on the gauge without the cap on and top up as necessary.

You can also park with the nose up hill to get the filler neck up higher.