PDA

View Full Version : Pulled off the 2.8 turbo: Stuffed or what?

P4trol
24th August 2014, 10:38 PM
Pulled the turbo off the 2.8 Symptoms included a grinding noise instead of boost, up to -5psi boost on the guage, oil gathering at an alarming rate in the intercooler, oil weeping on the first join of the exhaust post turbo. The shaft has over 2mm wiggle back and forwards.

In the pics: Two shots from the front of the turbo. To me the blades look like they have contacted the wall. I don't know what a good one looks like.
One shot of the back, I can see a corner out of one of the blades.
A pic of the intake runners... EGR block doing it's job.
A shot of the dump pipe post turbo. Too much oil. Ignore the bit of coolant in there.

So I'm pretty sure I know the answer - its stuffed. All I'm after is a replacement for something that didn't do a bad job in the first place.

I can see a few options:

rebuild (probably not myself)
exchange (if this one hasn't disgraced itself inside)
buy new.

I'm not too keen for a rebuild. Am I right in thinking a new unit will be balanced and just needs to be bolted in?

Just counting my lucky stars it held out for the cape trip in June.

K1W1
25th August 2014, 01:17 AM
Its definitely been hitting something on the compressor side.

Is the 2mm Play at one end or when you are holding both ends of the shaft? A turbo can have a lot of shaft wobble when only tested at one end and still be ok.

cos
25th August 2014, 05:11 AM
For a 2.8 is a waaay to much . The IC is only reason to not feed engine with engine oil an suprarev himself till a conectin rod break and engine rech his very final end .

Dales300exc
25th August 2014, 08:02 AM
Its cactus. Any end float is no good. Looks to have damaged blades and be dropped a lot on one side as opposed to being central.

P4trol
25th August 2014, 12:17 PM
Either end will move about the same in isolation. The fresh air end was easier to measure.

I haven't tried to move both the same direction towards the side.

nissannewby
25th August 2014, 12:23 PM
She is fingered mate. Looks like the bearing has failed.

P4trol
25th August 2014, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have any recommended sellers/suppliers/rebuilders for a turbo. At the moment only Denco is on the list to call.

nissannewby
26th August 2014, 11:01 AM
Mtq. Gcg turbos. Ebay.