PDA

View Full Version : nissan patrol TD42

banksy
23rd August 2014, 10:29 PM
Hi all I'm new at this I've got three patrols and have been around them for a long time but my td42 is giving me he'll on first start up it rough and Smokey until I hold revs up for some time then all good every other time have rebuilt motor and pump 13 mm plunger and approx 200 at rear wheels big inter cooler and all the good stuff I've put new fuel lines on and new complete filter and housing and new glow plugs and a manual glow switch I'm out of ideas can any one help

AB
24th August 2014, 08:42 AM
For what It's worth. I have just finished installing a big front mount IC on my TD42 GQ with 3" piping and before the tune it was slightly hard to start on cold mornings, little bit of smoke and needed to choke it for 10 seconds.

Just had it tuned and all good again...

nissannewby
24th August 2014, 09:00 AM
What did you set pump timing at?

Have you checked your steel lines and the tank pickup?

Have you replaced the copper washers on the inlet of the pump?

K1W1
24th August 2014, 09:27 PM
For what It's worth. I have just finished installing a big front mount IC on my TD42 GQ with 3" piping and before the tune it was slightly hard to start on cold mornings, little bit of smoke and needed to choke it for 10 seconds.

Just had it tuned and all good again...

I have not seen a diesel engine with a choke before , what is that all about?

AB
25th August 2014, 08:30 AM
I have not seen a diesel engine with a choke before , what is that all about?

Its not really a choke, more of a throttle control. I'll put up a pic tonight mate.

Marti
25th August 2014, 10:05 AM
im having exactly the same problem, 11mm compensated pump, top mount and ht18. idles really rough on first start, hold the revs and its all good. pump timing is factory as i havent tuned it yet(still running the motor in )