PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Worth purchasing a SWB Patrol (L28)?

odin836
20th February 2011, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I've been watching this forum for some time now...

I'm based in Melbourne and are currently considering purchasing a SWB Patrol, I've completely rebuilt motorcycle engines in the past but nothing as heavy as a 2.8L straight 6.

The patrol I'm looking at has a running engine, however it has sheared of the crankshaft pully. Not sure how bad the crankshaft itself actually is (hard to tell) with bonnet up.

Is it possible to only do a bottom end rebuild? Whats the best source for a rebuild kit?

Cheers!

Bigrig
20th February 2011, 07:56 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Someone will be along soon that can sort you with the questions mate. In the meantime, don't be shy and join in on the conversations to make the most of the place!!!

Dhuck
20th February 2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Maxhead
20th February 2011, 08:28 PM
G'Day mate, welcome to the forum mate. Hope you get some answers soon

big_fletch
20th February 2011, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, great bunch of people on here

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Odin.

I would not bother rebuilding the L28 myself as thet are plentiful enought to just do swap. I assume you are looking at either a MQ or MK with 4 or 5 spd box. I do have spare motor that would suit your rebuild if you were going to go that way. Or check out ebay for closer to you, unleess any one else has one on here.

Now that you have placed an intro put up ad asking for motor in wanted section.

Tim

gec
20th February 2011, 09:14 PM
Gday mate Welcome to the forum, the L28 is a great little motor and can be made to go real hard so ya wont be disappointed if ya get it, I myself had one for about seven years and regretted it greatly when I sold it.

odin836
20th February 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the quick responses and welcomes...

Yes, the car I am looking at has a 4 Speed MK, Trans / Axle: F4W81A HG46, Copper looking colour.

What should I look for, anything in particular that I should be aware of?
Whats a replacement L28 go for?

wildgu6
20th February 2011, 09:45 PM
Hey buddy, Welcome aboard,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the quick responses and welcomes...

Yes, the car I am looking at has a 4 Speed MK, Trans / Axle: F4W81A HG46, Copper looking colour.

What should I look for, anything in particular that I should be aware of?
Whats a replacement L28 go for?
I know the model just sold a spare one.

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 10:06 PM
Ok look for rust in roof line around rain tracks. Check floors closely, lift mats and use torch underneath and check for rust behind sound deadner etc. Bottoms of doors and tailgates often rust out but can be replaced as good panels are still obtainable. Check door pillars as they do rust out to as do sills. All this rust is due to beach use normally or launching boats, and lack of cleaning after use in wet conditions.

Poly urethane bushes are usually used to replace original rubber bushes and don't last long so check all leaf spring bushes. Pointers in guages are usually heat bent but can be replaced by those in the know. Side rear sliding window frames also suffer rust problems but can be replaced.

Age is the big thing and how well it's been kept. Some prices you can expect to pay if you need the following. Alternator $370.00, Radiator New $380.00. Hardest thing to get is MK taillights (two red and clear) can replace with MQ (red,clear,amber) but need to modify wiring.. But hopefully you won't need any of this.

Test drive and look for smoke under load(injectors or over fuelling), smoke idling(rings) smoke on start up(valve guides) steering wheel shake(process of illimination in front suspension) diff winds(serious, minor) and don't forget to check manual hubs lock in.

Hope you not scared off but these are 1986 models and some have been absolutly abused. I have a prime example here, and an example of a cherished MK written off in split second.

Let us know how you go.

You can pay anything from $200.00 - $6000.00 for them depending how good and who is selling it where.

Tim

patch697
3rd May 2011, 07:48 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul