PDA

View Full Version : Excessive fuel consumption help please

Rip'n'Shred
18th August 2014, 06:16 PM
Looking for suggestions on excessive fuel consumption. 2006 GU IV TD42Ti wagon 140k odo about 3t kerb weight, 33" muddies, 3" lift, roofrack, etc. 3" exhaust, airbox 90mm pvc lid mod with K&N, boost 14psi, advanced injector pump slightly, compensator pin at max position, starwheel adjusted slightly, egr mod, butterfly removed in inlet piping, pre turbo EGT max 650, usually 0 to 500 normal driving, standard HT18, std intercooler and piping, minor rattle/knock on cold start up at idle, fairly clean tune, minimal soot off boost. 16L/100km max. Best is 15L/100. Mostly highway and rural driving. Running 2 stroke oil also. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe need more advance on injector pump but already getting knock as mentioned.

Winnie
18th August 2014, 06:27 PM
If your temps are getting that hot (650, really?) my first impression is that it has too much fuel or not enough boost. If you removed some fuel you probably wouldn't notice much difference in power and obviously fuel consumption would go down too.

Ben-e-boy
18th August 2014, 07:52 PM
If your temps are getting that hot (650, really?) my first impression is that it has too much fuel or not enough boost. If you removed some fuel you probably wouldn't notice much difference in power and obviously fuel consumption would go down too.

Pre turbo..... so getting high but not too dangerous.

An injector could be stuck open slightly, I had a similar issue, firstly do a bit of a visual around the fuel system especially the pump, check underneith the back of the pump and see if it is wet, the rear seal could have let go, I have had that issue too.

Fozzee63
18th August 2014, 08:02 PM
Check the fine filter in the injector pump give it a blow out I was pulling my hair out did the fuel filter and air filter to find out the injector pump gauze filter was 3/4 blocked ran like a dream after cleaning it and lots better fuel economy

Rip'n'Shred
18th August 2014, 09:24 PM
Yep pre turbo. Only get that hot giving it heaps up a big hill with heavy trailer behind.

Definitely no fuel leaks.

Checked fine guaze plenty of times. No blockage.

Thanks for the reply so far.

sooty_10
28th August 2014, 02:54 PM
Yep pre turbo. Only get that hot giving it heaps up a big hill with heavy trailer behind.

Definitely no fuel leaks.

Checked fine guaze plenty of times. No blockage.

Thanks for the reply so far.

How'd you go with this mate, I have similarly poor economy and also looking at potential options to reduce it. Putting some injector cleaner through mine now hopefully freshen then slightly. Otherwise I will be looking at getting a decent tune and check over done, just waiting on sorting out an intercooler before I want to do that though (factory non-intercooled)

Rip'n'Shred
2nd September 2014, 01:31 PM
I haven't had the chance to touch it yet really. We've been away for a week and now home with 2 sick kids. Funny, they never get sick when it's a 4wd and camping holiday (we flew to gold coast and stayed in hotel )

I'm thinking of returning the pump advance back to factory and seeing how that goes until I can afford a new turbo one day.

Stropp
2nd September 2014, 03:33 PM
im getting 15.3ltr 100k's but i have a ufi 16g large abd cross country intercooler, thats the best i have had and that was on a recent trip to the simpson for the whole trip. some times i got 13ltrs and with the head wind across the nullabor it was around 17ltrs but that is also with a roof top tent on as well.