PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner compressor

Danni014
18th August 2014, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I have a question....

I need to replace the air conditioner compressor in my GU Patrol (3.0lt).

Before I can afford to get this done will it hurt to continue driving the car?

It sounds like a chaff cutter at the moment :( but it's my everyday car and I depend on it to get me to work, etc

Danni

P4trol
18th August 2014, 04:03 PM
An air con repairer will suggest you replace the compressor and a regas. Common sense also suggests the aircon belt be replaced.

(there is a cheaper option, and that is to replace either the whole clutch or even just the bearing in the pulley. It depends on whether the bearing has heated up and caused other troubles. Aircon repairers may do this, or like the one I asked, was of the belief the car would be back to him within the month to have damage further in the system.)

Two options: leave it as is until catastrophic failure or remove the belt.

Check first the aircon belt doesn't go around something else important!

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2014, 04:05 PM
Yep if the Aircon belt is an independent relay then just take the belt off. Thats what i have done on my TD42. Not sure that it is on a ZD30 though?

mudski
18th August 2014, 04:15 PM
You sure its not just the pulley bearing thats needs to be replaced? With the correct tools you can buy the bearing and replace it.

big_fletch
18th August 2014, 04:50 PM
Zd30 engines run a single serpentine belt unfortunately. I have replaced the bearing in mine multiple times however I fix a/c for a living.. However if you go too your local mechanic or Auto elec who does a/c they can replace just the bearing if you request it. As long as there is nothing wrong with the housings.

Once the bearing completely goes and seizes you will be up for a new compressor regardless, it will throw the belt and within a minute or 2 can over heat the engine as once the belt goes you won't have the water pump spinning anymore..

If you are going too continue too drive it just keep an eye on things and if something seems wrong just pull straight over and check the belt system

Stropp
18th August 2014, 05:16 PM
yes i managed to get mine done prior to the housing being destroyed, a lot a places will say just buy the lot but as has been said bearing is cheaper and no regassing either.

P4trol
18th August 2014, 09:50 PM
Did the bearing on my 2.8 today. It cost $38 in money, and about 2.5 hours of effort. I'm sure I can whittle that down now I know exactly what I'm doing.

But if as above you are using one serpentine belt to run the lot, I'd get it done asap, as mentioned above.