PDA

View Full Version : Compressors?

4bye4
17th August 2014, 04:16 PM
Hi all,I need to buy a 12 V compressor etc.for inflating/deflating tyres when off road. Any recommendations? Won't be getting a lot of use, but when I need it it will have to work. Thanks.

MEGOMONSTER
17th August 2014, 04:36 PM
Plenty of options out there. I went with the ARB compressors fixed in the engine bay. Very happy with it. 48446 Stretch bought the potable Tigerz11 Thumper and he is very happy with it also.

lhurley
17th August 2014, 04:42 PM
Same as mego, I've got a single piston arb one and it's awesome. Mate had a tigerz thumper also and it goes alright as well.

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2014, 04:46 PM
The HiOutput ARB is fantastic. I have a BigBoss in my GQ and an ARB in the GUiV and rate the ARB as a better compressor at half the size and half the draw.

If I had the coin and was buying from the start I would have the ARB HiOutput, if I had a little more coin then I would o the ARB double pumper HiOutput.

Hodge
17th August 2014, 05:06 PM
As above, I have a single ARB one under the hood. I piped a hose attachment to the front of the bull bar, and this way I just plug in the tyre hose to the front, flick the compressor switch and pump away. No need to pop the bonnet.

Also, ask your self if you're by any chance getting air lockers in the future. This way, you may want to choose a perma-mounted compressor, then lockers plug straight in. No point buying a portable compressor, if you may be getting lockers in the future. Just a thought.

4bye4
17th August 2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks you to all. Looks like ARB is the place to go and I like the idea of under bonnet mount. Thanks all.

lhurley
17th August 2014, 05:54 PM
As above, I have a single ARB one under the hood. I piped a hose attachment to the front of the bull bar, and this way I just plug in the tyre hose to the front, flick the compressor switch and pump away. No need to pop the bonnet.

Also, ask your self if you're by any chance getting air lockers in the future. This way, you may want to choose a perma-mounted compressor, then lockers plug straight in. No point buying a portable compressor, if you may be getting lockers in the future. Just a thought.

Did you use small fittings like the arb hose? Or did you just use different fittings? I'm trying to find some of the small fittings the same as the arb ones.

MEGOMONSTER
17th August 2014, 05:58 PM
As above, I have a single ARB one under the hood. I piped a hose attachment to the front of the bull bar, and this way I just plug in the tyre hose to the front, flick the compressor switch and pump away. No need to pop the bonnet. Also, ask your self if you're by any chance getting air lockers in the future. This way, you may want to choose a perma-mounted compressor, then lockers plug straight in. No point buying a portable compressor, if you may be getting lockers in the future. Just a thought.

That's what I should have done from the beginning, plumbed it to the front.

mudnut
17th August 2014, 06:22 PM
I went with a single cylinder ARB compressor, mounted under a rear seat. The inlet is mounted higher up in the rear quarter trim panel. Being so far away from the compressor, the noise is minimal.

Hodge
17th August 2014, 08:52 PM
Did you use small fittings like the arb hose? Or did you just use different fittings? I'm trying to find some of the small fittings the same as the arb ones.

I used whatever they gave me, some fittings and hose, and their pump up kit plugs straight in. Plus I found a small black cover to cover the socket on the front from dirt, etc... Looks neat and most people don't even notice it. Will take some pics tomorrow.

briscott
17th August 2014, 10:08 PM
I have a high output ARB mounted in the truck, and a Tigerz11 one in the shed from my old truck. Tigerz one kills the ARB for speed on the first tyre then gaps it for every successive one. There is no discernible difference in speed from the first to the fourth [or eighth] tyre on the Tigerz unit, the ARB slows down considerably.

The Tigerz gets hot enough around the hose connection and just up the hose to fry an egg. I wonder if the hose is too small for the pump. I bought a better hose for it from abrsidewinder that reduced the heat and gave me a bit more confidence in the hose not letting go but because the compressor is Tigerz, I worry about it's long term operation. Nothing it has actually done substantiates that though.

The ARB seems much better built and is dramatically quieter. I have faith it will last, maybe blindly.

I've had a lot of friends buy a Tigerz one since I got mine, and had amazed looks from one mate with an ARB twin.

As far as letting tyres down, get a quicky deflator (that removes the valve). One of the handiest things in my kit.