PDA

View Full Version : engine-removal

cold
16th August 2014, 01:31 PM
hi.all..firstly.sorry.about.full.stops.my.space.ba r.wont.work..haha..justremoving.my.3.olitre.from.m y.02.patrol..the.manual.i.have.says.to.remove.auto .trans.first...would,this.be.necessary..

tallman
18th August 2014, 12:43 PM
Never removed a patrol motor but done plenty of others and it usually does make the job alot more easier to remove the tranny... or unless you have plenty of room to move the engine forward in the engine bay.

happygu
18th August 2014, 01:27 PM
Are you planning on keeping the transfer case attached too ..... as this adds an extra weight and space challenge ...

To take it out all together means that you have to manoeuvre everything around a lot more - tilting the motor and transmission, and you definitely have to remove the radiator and accessories to make room and it will be a lot heavier and potentially more dangerous too. This can be also prove to add difficulty depending on the amount of lift you have in your truck too, as you have to move the whole lot over and away from the truck.

Separate the motor and box, means a fairly straightforward lift. Still got to get it away from the vehicle, but there is a lot less dead weight

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 02:55 PM
Just take the engine out and leave the gearbox in... much easier.

Dr Gary
18th August 2014, 02:59 PM
Just had the engine out of my manual 2006 ZD3.0. Pretty much impossible with the gearbox attached, but we did not remove the gearbox completely. Dropped the cross member and used a trolley jack to hold the box up It is a fairly high lift to clear the front. Actually we had to remove the wheels and lower the hoist as our lift crane just cleared the front. Engine mounts are a pain, as noted elsewhere on the forum.
Getting the lift points right is critical. All in all a pain.