PDA

View Full Version : LSD Question

Xtreme
14th August 2014, 10:10 AM
Can someone explain the workings of the LSD for 2000 GU Patrol? My understanding of a LSD was if one wheel was spinning then drive would be sent to the opposite wheel.

In my case I was sand driving and got bogged, I was in 4H, and when I looked out my window to the rear drivers side wheel, it was not turning at all. Should that wheel have been turning? What would make it not turn? As I was on my own I could not actually see what other wheels were turning or not, however I would have thought that both rear wheels should have been turning?

nissannewby
14th August 2014, 10:30 AM
Its still a limited slip diff mate so if it is worn a little then it can act like a standard diff. If its to hard to turn both then it will slip. Also the lsd in a patrol will work better as more torque is applied hence they work well in low range.

Drewboyaus
14th August 2014, 07:20 PM
Is it correct that once you have lost all traction (no matter how good the Nissan LSD is), 100% drive is sent to the wheel that is spinning? If your PS wheel was spinning then that would be why you would have seen the DS not moving.....assuming the previous statement/question is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Winnie
14th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Is it correct that once you have lost all traction (no matter how good the Nissan LSD is), 100% drive is sent to the wheel that is spinning? If your PS wheel was spinning then that would be why you would have seen the DS not moving.....assuming the previous statement/question is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It is still an LSD, it is not a locker.
As good as it is, it will still slip.

Ben-e-boy
14th August 2014, 07:31 PM
There is a minimum amount of torque where the clutch packs will engage. It is very low. There is also a maximum amount of torque where the clutch packs will be overcome allowing one wheel to drive/slip.
The figures are in the manual, I cant remeber them though

P4trol
14th August 2014, 09:26 PM
So it's only the 'shimmed up' LSDs that will bind up when you jack one rear wheel up, and turn it by hand?

macca
15th August 2014, 06:48 PM
They must be good when set up right. Backing up a a driveway with a loaded trailer on one wheel on grass and other on concrete, the one on the concrete spun when the other did! Did not expect that.

Xtreme
15th August 2014, 09:14 PM
So is it better then to shim the rear to make it tighter? Are there any negative driving traits that will occur with this? I do not drive on sand very much, I have no locker in the front as yet and would like to think that I can drive both rears when needed, but the main driving will occur on dirt/mud/rock, nothing extreme but moderate style 4wding.

nissannewby
15th August 2014, 09:40 PM
So is it better then to shim the rear to make it tighter? Are there any negative driving traits that will occur with this? I do not drive on sand very much, I have no locker in the front as yet and would like to think that I can drive both rears when needed, but the main driving will occur on dirt/mud/rock, nothing extreme but moderate style 4wding.

Did you try it in low range in that situation?

You can shim it up how much will be up to you. You can shim it up until its locked or anywhere in between. Only you can really decide how much you like. It is a little trial and error sometimes.

nissannewby
15th August 2014, 09:42 PM
They must be good when set up right. Backing up a a driveway with a loaded trailer on one wheel on grass and other on concrete, the one on the concrete spun when the other did! Did not expect that.

They dont work very well in reverse if at all.