PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Possible Head Crack

SupRob
13th August 2014, 09:03 PM
Hey Guys!

Third night at this now, will have the cylinder head off tonight.

This started with removing the intake manifold to replace with a shiny clean manifold. However on closer inspection after getting it off, Coolant down pot 2 egr port. Was not going to bother reassemble to see how long she lasts.

When at it breaking lots of studs on the exhaust side, all 3 broke on the turbo (new turbo sitting waiting to go on) Would anyone believe me if I said original motor with 400,000kms?

Acouple of questions for the ZD30 Chiefs.

EGR Block - has anyone tried blocking on the exhaust manifold side?

Intercooler piping recommendations?

Im sure I will have more questions to add however time is a factor! Head has to come off tonight before I get to pissed.

I will try and add some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks people,
Love this website, loads of info and heaps of nice people.

I will be finishing up at my current job soon, if anyone needs ZD30/TD42/RD28 parts send me a pm. Mainly deal in clutch and engine components.

SupRob
15th August 2014, 09:20 PM
Alrighty, pressure test has failed, as the tested said 100% fail rate on these heads, small pin hole from factory "casting defect" which was effectively "lock tight" used to fill in the hole

Time for a new head and time to start reassembly.

Rob,

NP99
15th August 2014, 09:27 PM
Good luck with the reassembly job mate. Bloody casting defect....they should do better than a glue repair!!!

mudski
19th August 2014, 09:14 PM
Its easier to just block the EGR at the air intake side. Less chance of snapping more studs too. The gasket on the exhaust side is a weird shape so if you wanted to block it their you would have to fabricate your own plate. But pointless doing it there really as the ease of doing the intake side.
As for intercooler piping recommendations? What do you exactly mean? The steel pipes or are your referring to the rubber hoses? If the hoses, Gates make them and are cheaper than OEM and of good quality. Better than most silicone hoses going around now, unless you pay for the decent hose.

SupRob
21st August 2014, 01:55 AM
Thanks mudski, factory intercooler piping just looking a tad old, I will keep gates in mind, need to find a supplier.

I did block egr at exhaust side as it was already stripped down, just had the beast started, no exhaust on yet and whoo nosiey.

Another problem is the turbo oil feed banjo bolt was tampered with from previous owner, I will hopefully just make a new banjo bolt(only 3 threads on the bolt removed and was leaking before disassembly).

Also a hard choice if to remove the cat and muffler off the exhaust.

Rob,

SupRob
26th August 2014, 09:03 PM
Amazing how much difference a clean head and intake manifold makes... untill I found my boost leak.. mabye I should turn it down a notch. :banghead:

threedogs
27th August 2014, 01:28 PM
You can find Gates products at most CBC bearing places,
along with constant pressure hose clamps at an affordable price.
I found the OE clamps inadequate, they work but you can do better

SupRob
27th August 2014, 08:24 PM
Hey Threedogs, yeah picked up all hoses and clamps but one for $38.

I will post up clear picture of the new problem as soon as it comes off.

Rob,

SupRob
27th August 2014, 08:46 PM
Yes. Im sure this would be the leak.

Getting to become a pro at this.

happygu
27th August 2014, 09:29 PM
Yes. Im sure this would be the leak.

Getting to become a pro at this.

What happened .... did you over-tighten it?

SupRob
27th August 2014, 09:58 PM
I suspect it was off a cooked engine, as I picked it up cleaned it thinking it would be simple straight swap. No visable signs of cracks before install.

Iv cleaned my original, unreal how much lighter it is without the crud it in. Best cleaning method is hot water pressure cleaner.

Rob,