PDA

View Full Version : RB30 engine problem, driving me bonkers!

burden2
13th August 2014, 05:22 PM
Hi folks
Have finally got my '90 GQ RB30 on the road and am loving having it going and legal but am having a frustrating problem. When it runs its is pretty good, I can drive into town, drive around the shops but when I get home and turn into the drive it chokes and dies. It will start and will run if I feather the throttle, almost as if it is only running on the fuel being delivered by the accelerator pump. Definitely sounds rough and plenty of banging coming from the exhaust as the rich mix goes down the exhaust! If I pump the pedal and then hit the key it will fire and run for four seconds then die. I have left it on the side of the road for a few hours and now it fires up and runs no problem. It has been on LPG but that has been removed and it did sit for 6 months but it always started and ran without any trouble while it was parked up, has fresh fuel in it. Appreciate any input!

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2014, 05:51 PM
Hi mate, please head over to the Introduction section and post up an intro thread, we like folks to say gday before asking for help..

Alitis007 is your man i reckon, in a previous life he was right into doof doof Commys and the RB30 was his choice ride.

burden2
13th August 2014, 06:07 PM
Cheers MudRunner, will do that right now!

mudnut
13th August 2014, 07:58 PM
G'day, burden2, and welcome to the forum. Have a look at this thread. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28517-RB30-Facts-Figures-and-Helpful-Hints.

Maybe the fuel is a bit old if it has sat around for a long time. Try a 1/2 a cup of metho to break up any moisture in the fuel. Or a carby / injector cleaner additive may also help. Also the carby components may have dried out while running on LPG. It could also be a bit of muck blocking a jet.

burden2
13th August 2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info there Mudnut, some pretty damn useful stuff in there! Bloody thing fired up fine when I went back to it this afternoon so its off the street at least. I was wondering about the carb drying out but it is just a recent thing and wasn't doing it when I was running it while it was sitting on the lawn. It has got a fresh load of fuel so am pretty sure that's not the problem, before I fired it up this arvo I put a filter in the line just before the carb as a last chance catch of anything that has made it that far so hoping that will keep the crap that may be coming up for the tank from getting thru. Have been looking at the Holley kits on Ebay, bit pricey so am thinking a kit thru the carb as a first effort and if all fails the wallet is going to take a thrashing!

burden2
14th August 2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks heaps for the advice guys, really appreciate it! Have fiddled this morning and admitted defeat, we shift house next week and need the wagon for transport duties so went and spoke to a mechanic at one of our local places. Good guys at Bears Mechanical in Mt Isa (in case you are ever stuck up this way!), we discussed it and their Nissan guru gave me a bit of a look and said "When was the carb last overhauled?". He thinks that is definitely a case of dried out and mistreated carb along with the crud being stirred up and possibly blocking jets. Will be delivering it to their skilled hands this arvo. definitely the last thing I had planned to be doing but what can ya do!

mudnut
14th August 2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Let's hope the mechanic gets it fixed at a reasonable cost.