PDA

View Full Version : fathers day prezzies :)

DilboBaggins
13th August 2014, 12:11 AM
G'day guys, as some of you are aware, or are now aware, fathers day is just around the corner.
So I would like to get dad something special this time round so ive started to save abit. Now he has a 98 4.5lt patrol on dual fuel and lacks power/fuel economy. And I would like to improve this somehow. I was thinking an exhaust upgrade, would this make a noticeable difference? If I did do the exhaust, id like it to sound abit more beefy if that makes sense. Or would a chip work better? So if anyone has done any cheapish mods to improve performance and fuel, could you please share with what brands you got? I have tried to look at other threads but they were all pretty old and outdated or not enough info! Thanks in advance ☺

jff45
13th August 2014, 09:21 AM
How do you define "cheapish"? A good set of extractors and 2.5" cat back exhaust is ~$1000.
A good chip (Xede comes to mind) is the ideal solution for duel fuel (although there are those who are now throwing away the gas setup) so you can run 2 fuel/timing setups.

Just curious, does your Dad want it to sound "beefier"? When I fitted my extractors & exhaust, I intentionally fitted an extra rear muffler to keep the sound level down. I'm pretty sure it's an age thing.. I'm a Granddad now :) Might be wise to check with him first :)

Clunk
13th August 2014, 09:32 AM
I always get given books for fathers day. Get him a real nice book, I'm sure he'll be eternally grateful

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2014, 09:53 AM
How do you define "cheapish"? A good set of extractors and 2.5" cat back exhaust is ~$1000.
A good chip (Xede comes to mind) is the ideal solution for duel fuel (although there are those who are now throwing away the gas setup) so you can run 2 fuel/timing setups.

Just curious, does your Dad want it to sound "beefier"? When I fitted my extractors & exhaust, I intentionally fitted an extra rear muffler to keep the sound level down. I'm pretty sure it's an age thing.. I'm a Granddad now :) Might be wise to check with him first :)

Good advice, a budget is needed for sure but your talking at least $1000 for either of those options. I have a mate that has a GUIV with a 4.8petrol and an after market sports exhaust with a Beefier note, OMG it is horrendous! Sounds like crap coming down the road, sounds even worse in the car. It's a straight Six petrol, there ain't no music there! They sound terrible. He will hate it.

DilboBaggins
13th August 2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. So if you get more out of the chip ill probably go down that path. How much would the set up be? Would it have to be dyno tuned? Cheers

jff45
13th August 2014, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't bother with a piggyback or other engine management system without an optimised exhaust.
There's no really cheap way to do it.

DilboBaggins
13th August 2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks mate, but which one improves more? A good exhaust or a chip? Cheers

jff45
13th August 2014, 08:16 PM
IMO, extractors & 2.5" cat back exhaust should be done first but if the vehicle is optimally tuned for gas the performance with petrol will suffer. This is where an engine management system comes into play.

Evo
14th August 2014, 04:50 AM
Hi,

Whilst I may not agree with everyone's reasoning or information, I do agree to go with extractors and exhaust first.
Definitely noticed a difference, especially after about 2000 rpm, better response, smoother power, more performance at highway speeds, towing, going uphill.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Evo