PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air Filter installation on a GUIV onwards

soupfor1au
12th August 2014, 07:43 PM
Has anyone installed a cabin air filter?
The chap at Supacheap sold me one when I was doing my last service, but there is actually no provision for a filter. I have heard that they can be retro fitted. Any help would be great.

MudRunnerTD
12th August 2014, 09:51 PM
Yes you can remove the glove box and there is a slot for it. In the Aussie model the slot is still moulded into the heater box. It is obvious though. Cut it out with a stanly knife and install the filter. How much was it and do you have a part number. It's a pollen filter

Bloodyaussie
12th August 2014, 10:04 PM
Here is my filter. ..ha ha ha. How the hell would I clean that.

MudRunnerTD
12th August 2014, 10:09 PM
Crazy Jonathan!! Yes the GUIV has an option to fit a secondary filter. I have cut the spot but never fitted the filter, I should do that.

soupfor1au
12th August 2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks Fellas. I knew I'd get the right info in here. Love the forums!
I'll dig it out tomorrow and find the part number but I'm pretty sure it was around $16. After seeing the pics I reckon it's now going on my priority list before the pollen season for sure.

MudRunnerTD
12th August 2014, 11:20 PM
That pic is of a sh1tty ol GQ though mate.

Your GUIV will have a bigger box and take a flat panel filter that will slot in.

mudski
13th August 2014, 06:23 PM
You can buy the kit for around $40, which has the two filters and the clips. Did it to my GUII, took a whole 5minutes. Filters get pretty dirty too...

Rumcajs
14th August 2014, 08:53 PM
It is easy fix, you do need to ask for the clip separately and Nissan parts monkey will tell you it doesn't fit Patrol only for Y61s, Pulsars, Maximas and X-trails. :icon_bonk: I didn't like the clip method as much so I secured it additionally with gaffa tape across each unit.

See pics.

Cheers

Robo
15th August 2014, 02:44 AM

How in the heck do ya clean that still in the car??

Crate
15th August 2014, 10:39 AM
How in the heck do ya clean that still in the car??

Like this :-P

nipagu7
16th August 2014, 01:36 PM
would this filter kit fit all gu,s .mines a gu7 . do you need to remove the glove box whenever it needs cleaning / replacing or just for first time fitting . i've been in cars with cabin air filters in pollen season . it really helps with the hayfeaver .

Rumcajs
16th August 2014, 02:33 PM
would this filter kit fit all gu,s .mines a gu7 . do you need to remove the glove box whenever it needs cleaning / replacing or just for first time fitting . i've been in cars with cabin air filters in pollen season . it really helps with the hayfeaver .

It should fit as it is for Y61 and there is the provision for it. I don't see Nissan to change anything in a hurry. In any case Nissan should have fitted these from the start, the cheap bastards they're are! Have a look on yours if you've got that raised section in the plastic casing, you have than get the filters and cut away.....

Glove box does need to be removed every time you wanna get intimate with the filters but it takes less than a minute to remove so what is the problem?

Cheers

Robo
20th August 2014, 01:02 AM
Like this :-P

To tell the truth I've cleaned a truck one with a garden hose.
But no electrical's or carpet to worry about.

strider
11th August 2016, 02:25 AM
I purchased an aftermarket filter only to find no slot. I will attack it with a knife in due course. The aftermarket filter I have is just a single one and it seems to big for the slot though. Has anyone had any joy using an aftermarket one instead of the nissan ones?

MudRunnerTD
11th August 2016, 08:05 AM
I purchased an aftermarket filter only to find no slot. I will attack it with a knife in due course. The aftermarket filter I have is just a single one and it seems to big for the slot though. Has anyone had any joy using an aftermarket one instead of the nissan ones?

What year is your GU? Mine had no slot but do have an obvious place to cut the slot formed into the plastic.

mudski
11th August 2016, 09:16 AM

If the aftermarket part number corresponds with the OEM number you should be fine.

strider
11th August 2016, 09:26 AM
I don't have the part number in front of me but I will cut the slot and try again. I will post the part number when I get over to where I have the car stored. The slot and rails inside just look to narrow to fit it in. The other dimensions look about right. I'm happy to go and buy nissan if required (although slightly less keen since I discovered the parts girl isn't single ;)

strider
11th August 2016, 09:28 AM
Mine is a 2011 GU DX

GeeYou8
13th August 2016, 09:19 AM
Put a tarp down on the floor, use a wet & dry vacuum cleaner & a garden sprayer to clean the evaporator.
Clean the fan with a dry paint brush while vacuuming.
Graham

strider
15th August 2016, 11:22 AM
They want over $100 for the filters at nissan

creosote54
16th August 2016, 10:09 AM
I'm a bit new to this pollen filter thing. How would Nissan replace it if you wanted them to do it? Would they have to cut bits out of the car? Seems a pretty poor design. Any info gratefully received.

00marshall
19th June 2017, 11:18 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/200.jpg
Did the mod the other day... very easy, 20mins max to cut slot and install. Have a 2012 GU.
Bought my filter kit from Supercheap Auto for $50, but notice there are cheaper ones on eBay. Will order one of those next time... just wanted option to return if it didn't fit.
Air is so very fresh now! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2017, 11:38 PM
Did the mod the other day... very easy, 20mins max to cut slot and install. Have a 2012 GU.
Bought my filter kit from Supercheap Auto for $50, but notice there are cheaper ones on eBay. Will order one of those next time... just wanted option to return if it didn't fit.
Air is so very fresh now! [emoji12]

nice. i bought the filter from SCA but was the wrong part number!!! Have you got the Ryco number mate??

00marshall
20th June 2017, 12:16 AM
nice. i bought the filter from SCA but was the wrong part number!!! Have you got the Ryco number mate??

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/201.jpg

mudski
20th June 2017, 08:32 AM
Sweet. I need to put some new ones in mine.

bsteveo
30th August 2017, 06:51 PM
Looking to do this on the weekend. From what perspective is this photo taken and what part is the filter kit? Lmao excuse the ignorance.

mudski
30th August 2017, 09:03 PM
Looking to do this on the weekend. From what perspective is this photo taken and what part is the filter kit? Lmao excuse the ignorance.
The rectangle section below yellow plug. Looks like it has two hole in it. Sorta. You cut this bit out and then slot the two panel filters in. The genuine kits come with a small metal clip to hold the two filters together. Not sure if the Ryco kit come with this clip though.

bsteveo
30th August 2017, 09:06 PM
The rectangle section below yellow plug. Looks like it has two hole in it. Sorta. You cut this bit out and then slot the two panel filters in. The genuine kits come with a small metal clip to hold the two filters together. Not sure if the Ryco kit come with this clip though.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/200.jpgThanks mate, that's sheds some light on it. And this view is obviously with the glove box dismantled ?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

mudski
30th August 2017, 09:11 PM
Thanks mate, that's sheds some light on it. And this view is obviously with the glove box dismantled ?

Yeah mate.

bsteveo
30th August 2017, 09:12 PM
Yeah mate.Too easy, thanks [emoji106]

LuRkIn
31st August 2017, 10:27 AM
Is it only for gu4 & onwards or do all gu patrols have a slot for the filters.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2018, 06:31 PM
Soni have finally sorted this out today. I had a go a couple of years ago and cut the slot but bought the wrong filter.

I pulled the glove box out to change rear cameras and while its out i got this sorted.

So using this thread i went into Repco and got a price for the right Ryco Cabin filter. $96! WTF!! So while still in Repco i called Nissan and got a price for OEM. $60.... spoke to old mate at Repco and he was gobsmacked. I told him to have another go.... how does $40 sound? Be in tomorrow! Sold.

So a couple of important things i learned.

The filter is actually a 2 piece split filter.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/353.jpg

The filters sit on top of each other.

Here is the slot you have to cut out with a sharp knife.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/354.jpg

2 Filters

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/355.jpg

Now one side of the filters has a little raised face, kind of castlated. You need to fit the top filter first and it goes in then up into position. Then the bottom slides in. Castles to the top ans bottom ans they lock in.

Check how the labels look.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/356.jpg

Then 3 layers of gaffa tape holds them in.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/357.jpg

Easy as. 5 minutes or less to fit. The entire glove box is held in by 7 Phillips head screws and it drops out in a couple of minutes.

mudski
9th December 2018, 10:12 AM
No metal clip to secure the two filters in?

nipagu7
9th December 2018, 10:30 AM
you can also get a single pannel filter . i think i got mine from nissan from memory ( about 5 years ago now , probably time for a change ). no clips or anything to hold it in place , i just srewed a ss screw into the plastic to hold it in place .

Rumcajs
9th December 2018, 01:07 PM
Is it only for gu4 & onwards or do all gu patrols have a slot for the filters.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is for all GUs, one just have to cut a slot in the aircon/heater assembly housing where filters go. Easy done as it has a rise in it so can be traced with sharp knife aka box cutters.

The clips are available separately from Ni$$an $tealers.....

you can also get a single pannel filter . i think i got mine from nissan from memory ( about 5 years ago now , probably time for a change ). no clips or anything to hold it in place , i just srewed a ss screw into the plastic to hold it in place .

Genuine Nissan part is also 2 piece p/n B727C-79925.

I got mine 5 years ago but at that time they listed 2 part numbers and the parts monkey couldn't figure out the difference between them in the end it was 1x kit with 2 sets and 1x kit with 1 set. The securing clip is extra.

The funny thing was when I asked the monkey for the filters he said they're not available for Nissan Patrol and insisted on it all the while there was a sign listing the models for these climate filters and Y61 was proudly mentioned among others like Pulsar, Maxima etc....so I just turned the sign towards him and asked what is Y61?

Anyway, here the install instruction from aftermarket Mann filters, cause in clean Europe they need cabin filters but in dusty Australia we don't, LOL.

MudRunnerTD
9th December 2018, 01:24 PM

Gaffa tape works a treat. They're not going anywhere

MudRunnerTD
9th December 2018, 01:25 PM

I Called Nissan and once they gave me the price i asked it it was a single or a twin filter. Twin filter it was. Happy days.

MudRunnerTD
9th December 2018, 01:28 PM
It is for all GUs, one just have to cut a slot in the aircon/heater assembly housing where filters go. Easy done as it has a rise in it so can be traced with sharp knife aka box cutters.

The clips are available separately from Ni$$an $tealers.....

Genuine Nissan part is also 2 piece p/n B727C-79925.

I got mine 5 years ago but at that time they listed 2 part numbers and the parts monkey couldn't figure out the difference between them in the end it was 1x kit with 2 sets and 1x kit with 1 set. The securing clip is extra.

The funny thing was when I asked the monkey for the filters he said they're not available for Nissan Patrol and insisted on it all the while there was a sign listing the models for these climate filters and Y61 was proudly mentioned among others like Pulsar, Maxima etc....so I just turned the sign towards him and asked what is Y61?

Anyway, here the install instruction from aftermarket Mann filters, cause in clean Europe they need cabin filters but in dusty Australia we don't, LOL.

Nice link.

Yes the first one o bought was for a Pulsar maxima and clearly is not the right one. It is about 35mm wide and will never go in.

BrazilianY60
24th November 2022, 11:02 PM
Hi.
Is there a way to drop the bottom part of the evaporator box? I have undone the two visible phillips screws in the front and took off the pressure clip. The box can be forced down a bit to take a look inside (its dirty) but I could not understand from looking at it what had to be undone to fully drop it. I want to take the chance my dash is out to fully clean the evaporator.

I have also found the idea of adding a cabin filter wonderful, but that MANN code is for a Y61 specific filter, not available here. I would first have to find anything with close enough dimensions before committing on cutting the box.

mudski
25th November 2022, 06:38 AM
I have also found the idea of adding a cabin filter wonderful, but that MANN code is for a Y61 specific filter, not available here. I would first have to find anything with close enough dimensions before committing on cutting the box.

This link has the OEM part number.
https://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-polen-cabin-filter-retrofit

Not possible to get OEM locally?

Or try here.

https://partsouq.com/
https://www.amayama.com/en

BrazilianY60
25th November 2022, 07:42 AM
Importing is possible for sure but I try to "nationalize" these types of consumables as best as I can. For example, I think the TB45 air filter with the lid incorporated into the element is plain stupid. I'll remove the lid from the one I got with my spare engine and try to find a cylindrical filter to fit the box with l (this came out weird. what I mean is that I will try to take the lid out of the equation)

BrazilianY60
25th November 2022, 07:59 AM
For example, I have shot in the dark for "Nissan Filters" and this from the Frontier has similar proportions, and it is also two filters. Doesn't have the hard frame though, this is just the paper element with foam surrounding.

Dimensions are:

250 x 100 x 20 mm for the Frontier/Bosh
275 x 108 x 24 mm for the Patrol/MANN

Not that much difference. I suppose I could fill the gap by adding one extra round of adhesive foam around it. Or maybe I could import one and when its due to replacement, stuff the Frontier one into the same plastic frame of the old one...

Anyways,
do you know if it is possible to drop the lower part of the evaporator box?

BrazilianY60
25th November 2022, 08:19 AM
Nevermind Mudski!

Just found it on my favorite choina site!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32768561884.html

Well, I still want to drop the box lower part if possible... I have vacuumed the hell out of it from the fan opening, but washing would be a better take at it.

Cremulator
25th November 2022, 04:48 PM
This is from the Patrol4x4 forum detailing all screws and clips to remove to detach the bottom half.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/11/63.jpg

BrazilianY60
25th November 2022, 07:24 PM
Thanks mate! Will give it a crack this weekend.

Plasnart
25th November 2022, 09:05 PM
Thanks mate! Will give it a crack this weekend.

Haha Braz, mate you are all Aussied up! "Choina" and "Give it a crack"!
Next you'll be out with "Fair dinkum" and "Get a big black dog up ya"! :D

mudski
25th November 2022, 11:04 PM
Haha Braz, mate you are all Aussied up! "Choina" and "Give it a crack"!
Next you'll be out with "Fair dinkum" and "Get a big black dog up ya"! :D

Yeah he’s talking like a true local Aussie hey! I’d be proud to call him one of us!

Bidja
26th November 2022, 12:46 PM
Nevermind Mudski!

Just found it on my favorite choina site!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32768561884.html

Well, I still want to drop the box lower part if possible... I have vacuumed the hell out of it from the fan opening, but washing would be a better take at it.

This is the filter I installed recently bought from NIZZBITS_ AU $59 (Genuine Y61 GUIV) and came with the securing clip but cost more than your AU $10 "choina one"

https://nizzbits.com.au/product/gu-patrol-cabin-filter-kit/

Install:

BrazilianY60
29th November 2022, 03:19 AM
This is from the Patrol4x4 forum detailing all screws and clips to remove to detach the bottom half.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/11/63.jpg

Could not go any past the screw #3. Screw #4 and clips 2 and 3 are impossible to get. At some moment I even thought I could get them out but for sure it would be impossible to get them back in.

So, with 1, 2 and 3 out, I jammed the vacuum cleaner hose on the right chamber (the one that gets all the crud straight from the fan) and used compressed air on the opposite side of the evaporator. Not 100% clean in terms of powder but there is definitely nothing blocking the fins now. I have complemented the job with A/C cleaning / disinfecting spray. I am happy with it for now, until my cabin filters arrive.