PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp TD42

tonyhoughton
11th August 2014, 08:02 PM

here goes.... Whats an acceptable oil temp?

bit of background info first...
12/2006 4.2 cab chassis with a pod on the back.. (rather heavy all the time and not very aerodynamic)
255,000 on the odometer , Serviced every 4500km
United Fuel Injection TD05 18G (autron gauges show it will push about 28psi with foot to the floor)
Cross county top mount intercooler
PWR radiator, high flow thermostat and has had some major sealing done around the front so no air is getting in to the engine bay without going through the RAD, never has a problem with overheating... Even in the WA summer with a trailer and combined weight of about 5.5 tonne the top rad hose only ever goes to about 100, even on a 40 degree day)

I have only just got round to installing the oil temp sender. After toying with the idea of mounting it in the sump for about 9 months i finally decided getting the sump off to drill it was to much effort as it looks like the geabox has to come out.... So i bought an oil filter sandwich adapter and installed the temp sender there instead.

Its just turning spring and was driving down the freeway in 20 degree ambient air temp for about 1.5 hours back to Perth the other day. From the picture above you can see that im not exactly pushing the engine hard... just doing 114kph pulling 2500rpm in 5th with no trailer on (guessing vehicle is weighing in at about 3.2 tonne). I'm only pushing around 12psi of boost and EGT is post turbo at the moment measuring around 325, so all looks good to me..

However..... what i don't like is the oil temp.... its sitting on 105 (presuming mounting it in a sandwich plate is giving me an accurate reading)
From all my googling about for an acceptable oil temp many people are saying that the temp needs to be around 100 degrees to "boil out any water that finds its way into the oil from the combustion process". I dont know how much i agree with it needing to be 100... because im sure the moisture would find its way out eventually at about 90? Also from my google studies people are saying that anything above 110 is not desirable and anything above 120 for extended periods will destroy the oil.

I have therefore been looking at oil coolers but... i do understand that keeping the oil temp to low will be detrimental to the engines performance and health. Therefore is there a way of regulating the oil through a front mounted oil cooler with a thermostat? I was going to use a http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150633306710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 through to a front mounted PWR oil cooler. Or perhaps tap in to the coolant line and install a PWR inline engine oil cooler http://www.pwr.com.au/products/oilcoolers

I like the idea of using a front mount cooler because there is no chance of the rad leaking and possibly putting oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil... and it doesnt put any extra load on the cooling system. But it will probably over cool the oil and be a hindrance for engine warm up time...?

If i go down the idea of an inline oil coolant filter... the advantage is its only going to cool it down to the coolant temp (around 80)

So basically i am seeking advice from people with more knowledge than me (that's pretty much everyone). Does anybody in here have an aftermarket oil cooling system? which would you do? Money isn't an issue in that... i would rather spend money on keeping it working perfectly than shorten the life of the motor. ..

cheers for anybody who reads this to the end! haha

Dales300exc
11th August 2014, 08:19 PM
Keen to know also. I was drawn in by the very expensive pillar pod setup your rocking haha.
I personally dont think 105 is anything to worry about but keen to hear the more educated input.

tonyhoughton
11th August 2014, 08:28 PM
yeah...im not worried about 105 at the moment. But i worry that if its 105 now with a coolant temp of 80...what will it be on a 40 degree day with a trailer... up a hill... coolant at 100 and boost at 28 and EGT around 700 in manifold?! Im guessing over 120.... i suppose i can only blame that awesome oil cooled turbo i got fitted....:Yahoo!:

nissannewby
11th August 2014, 08:28 PM
105 is fine. When I use to run engines in at cummins 110 is what we aimed for.

Putting a cooler on will help as the oil is cooled by the engine coolant so it will only do so much. Using an external cooler helps a lot about 80 degrees constant would be nice. Keeping it cooler helps with longevity of both the engine and the oil.