PDA

View Full Version : a serious question.. is bigger really better??

BigRAWesty
9th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Minds outta the gutters...

I has this in reference to upgrades...

Today we had 4 gq's in the group..
2 heavily modded with 6" lifts, 35's good power etc etc...
Mine a td42 NA 2" lift and 33 At's
And a 3ltr petrol with a very sad 2" lift and 33's..

Now we all did the same tracks, got bogged just as much and we all had to pick our lines..
One of the big rigs stripped the adjustable panhard rod which saw it left behind for a trailer pickup tomorrow
The other big rig shat a cv.. Luckily not far from home and did the last bit in 2wd and winched...

Our smaller busses come out how they went in..

So is all the extra strain and money spent on making weapon rigs worth it??

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 09:29 PM
More often than not it's down to the peanut behind the wheel Westy.....all the best mods in the world won't help if you can't drive for sh!t....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 09:34 PM
A funny story.....so today while I was checking out my potential new ride, a builder at my mates place doing some work pipes up "Cleanest GQ I've ever seen mate, had two of them myself and broke both. They're a bit weak IMO, I put one of mine on it's roof and the other one was had a f@cked front diff and busted CV's.....always full of mud and sh!t. Flogged them hard though..."

......never occurred to him it might have been the twat behind the wheel rather than the vehicle....

Ben-e-boy
9th August 2014, 09:51 PM
It depends on the driver, whether good or bad.
Things are going to break no matter what.

I dont drive like an idiot, but I have a lot of battle scars and have broken stuff on tracks that 2 inchs of lift and 33s are stuck at the entrance

mudski
9th August 2014, 09:52 PM
More often than not it's down to the peanut behind the wheel Westy.....all the best mods in the world won't help if you can't drive for sh!t....

Couldn't have put it better Drew. They mightvhave had the mentality of, my rigs modified to the hilt, I can go harder and not care about whats in those bog holes etc etc, and just gone hell for leather. Maybe? Maybe not, I wasn't there but it would seem that way.

Ben-e-boy
9th August 2014, 09:55 PM
So is all the extra strain and money spent on making weapon rigs worth it??

To answer this......yes every day of the week.

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2014, 01:13 AM
I have a lot of battle scars and have broken stuff on tracks that 2 inchs of lift and 33s are stuck at the entrance

That right there is the answer to your real question Kallen. All things aside bud playing properly in country that the modified cars are really built for in the hands of guys that know what they are doing....... the guy in a Stockie will stay at home that day. It would Blow your mind seeing some of the places i have taken my GQ mate! I'd happily drop it dow to a 3" lift though but the suspension travel and Bigger tyres are paramount along with the upgraded drive train. Happy Days and Nights

BigRAWesty
10th August 2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.
And I guess we're all talking totally different terrain to..
Just seeing both big rigs fail while being followed by 2 zuks is a little embarrassing hehe..
I think the cv was stock so a quick upgrade to chrome molybdenum and that's sorted but stripped panhard rod??

So pretty much if you use it wicked,
But this trip was these guys once a year trip... And was quite tame. So possibly built for posing..

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2014, 10:15 AM
I have never seen a Panard strip out? Did the adjustment thread strip and it let go? What brand was it?

Were you in a Zook Kallen? That's a whole different story! A Stock Zook will make a mockery of a heavily modded patrol! Trust me I have been driven around and thrown my hands in the air and thought well for Fark sake! What's the point when they can do that! Cheeky bastards.

Reckon it was the driver attitude for sure. Cvs can just let go though with Big Tyres.

taslucas
10th August 2014, 10:23 AM
Aside from bad driving, flogged out gear and bad luck, Every step of modification gets you further. A stock Pajero gets further than a commodore, a stock patrol lasts longer and goes further than a Pajero, a modified and strengthened patrol goes further, lasts longer and costs more than a stock one and on it goes....
It's all about picking what's good for what you want to do. For example, I don't need a laminated diff.
The more you use it, the more you figure out what you like doing and therefore which mods you need. Trouble is that every time we drive we want to go bigger, harder, further, for longer... And that's the bug biting :-)

BigRAWesty
10th August 2014, 01:37 PM
I have never seen a Panard strip out? Did the adjustment thread strip and it let go? What brand was it?

Were you in a Zook Kallen? That's a whole different story! A Stock Zook will make a mockery of a heavily modded patrol! Trust me I have been driven around and thrown my hands in the air and thought well for Fark sake! What's the point when they can do that! Cheeky bastards.

Reckon it was the driver attitude for sure. Cvs can just let go though with Big Tyres.

Yea unsure of brand but it had normal thread which is weird. Every one I've seen is normally fine thread.
So possibly the issue..

And your not wrong. This one hill that most of em struggled on one if the zooks just shot up..
These are build well though. Both lifted and running 31's.. The best one wad an auto but body roll.. Geeze... Looked like one of those bobble heads lol

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2014, 01:56 PM
Yeah a Zook running 31s will be a beast mate. Quite embarrassing for a well setup GQ

Winnie
10th August 2014, 02:02 PM
Apparently a zook on 31s has the same diff clearance as a patrol on 35s.
I know a bloke with a zook on 35s...crazy!

BigRAWesty
10th August 2014, 03:33 PM
Ye the diffs on the zooks were like the size of an orange..
I think our hub spanners are bigger...

threedogs
10th August 2014, 04:23 PM
Hi Kallen Think you answered your own question, the larger you go you also need to upgrade other components otherwise
to help take the extra pressure put on everything..
If you just lift it and keep other components STD somethings gotta give and it aint gunna be cheap.
Take a well set up comp truck probable over kill for a weekend warrior, or a very loved member of the family LOL
The componets are out there just $$$$$$ that's all

A guy I know runs 33"s on his Zook with an Izuzu diesel and reduction gears, boy can that thing crawl

growler2058
10th August 2014, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=
So is all the extra strain and money spent on making weapon rigs worth it??[/QUOTE]

Yes.......

mudnut
10th August 2014, 04:59 PM
Yea unsure of brand but it had normal thread which is weird. Every one I've seen is normally fine thread.
So possibly the issue..

And your not wrong. This one hill that most of em struggled on one if the zooks just shot up..
These are build well though. Both lifted and running 31's.. The best one wad an auto but body roll.. Geeze... Looked like one of those bobble heads lol

I have seen Adjustable panhards and other heavy looking gear at my local parts store. If the vehicle that wrecked the panhard is the one I asked you about, then that was the gear he used. I think it is called Road Safe, or something similar.

trekster
10th August 2014, 10:27 PM
It's a GQ thing mate, gq's and breaking things go hand in hand, buy a GU that's where the toughness is at!!!!!! :D

liftlid
11th August 2014, 09:29 AM
The nut could have come loose on the adjuster, then it's only a matter of time.
I had my name brand rod come loose twice, yes loctite was used.