PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry in your First Aid Kit?

Gecko17
9th August 2014, 04:17 PM
Hey all,

I was just reading 3dogs post about what everyone carries in their 4wd's and was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly everyone carries a first aid kit.

This got me to wondering what everyone puts in their first aid kits. For me, as a paramedic, I carry my trauma kit and O2 pack with resus gear as, if I come across an accident, I don't have a choice but have to provide treatment. (unless declined or they are already being treated by someone of higher quals.)

So, what does everyone carry in their first aid kits?

briscott
9th August 2014, 04:51 PM
Amongst the other stuff, I have 2 first aid kits, and the biggest lump of that is in bandages and crepe. That aside, I carry Burn Cream, Antiseptic, Anti spew/poo tablets, a range of pain killers, ventolin and a sharp knife.

I'm about to do a double crossing of the Simmo (2 weeks :) ), what would you suggest I add?

lucus30
9th August 2014, 06:21 PM
To be honest I have no idea its an off the shelf st johns one. I've only ever used the band aids out of it

Woof
9th August 2014, 07:30 PM
A lot of stuff, have only used it at work due to the lack of supplys there

NP99
9th August 2014, 07:56 PM
My most useful item is a pressure bandage. Got a good deal,on some Israeli army bandages....

Gecko17
9th August 2014, 10:10 PM
For what its worth, what your first aid kit contains will really just contain the basics then what you want to tailor it to ie, where your are going and for who long.

In general, a good kit will contain things like gloves, band aids, splinter picks, a few different types of bandages, a few containers of Normal Saline solution, a packet of Paracetamol tablets, a few non stick dressings, a pair of tweezers and scissors and that s about it. There are a few versions of this but generally they are pretty much the same.

In my opinion and my experience, a good first aid kit should contain the following;

Gloves- If it's not your blood, try to keep away from it. Also, they protect the patient from anything ban that may be on you.

Hand Cleaner- To be effective, the alcohol should be above 70%. Good to clean up with both before and after. Also handy when you 'Gotta go' while out bush.

Some Medi-wipes of Alco-swabs- Great for cleaning around dirty wounds but very painful for the patient, so please be gentle.

Decent band aids- All too often, the band aids that are included are one of two sorts... either they don't stick well enough (usually because the skin is too wet) or they stick too well and react with sensitive skin on a lot of people. The type I prefer (I don't intend to promote any brands ,just recommend decent products) as wound dressings are primapore dressings. They come in a range of sizes, are hypoallergenic and stick really well. (I actually carry a 50mm x 5m role of Hypofix (a hypoallergenic self adhesive tape) and an assortment of different sizes of Melanin non stick dressings. This way, I can pretty much dress any size wound, including fingers and toes.

Steri-strips- AKA Butterfly stitches. Very handy for closing deeper cuts. *IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER* If you are closing a deepish cut, it will need to be cleaned thoroughly as any dirt left in will cause infection later on because the skin edges are back together, they will start to heal.

Sodium Chloride 0.9% for Irrigation- Great for washing/cleaning out wounds. The size container you get will depend on the size of the first aid kit you carry. The come in 10ml, 30ml containers. Also great for cleaning out any eye irritations.

Compression Bandages- make sure that you get the compression bandages. One of the biggest dangers in the bush are snakebites. Normal dressings are no good for snake bite as they can't apply enough compression but compression bandages are great for sprains, strains and soft tissue injuries as well as snake bites.

Large quantity of Cotton Swabs or Combine Dressings- Great for cleaning up blood, ooze etc.

Triangular bandages- for the obvious injuries requiring a sling plus, in hot clims they can be soaked in water and used as a cooling bandana.

Thermal Blanket- Despite common beliefs, it can get frickin cold in the desert at night!

A decent set of scissors and tweezers- very handy and you'll be surprised at how useful they are.

Splinter probes- You'll be amazed at how many sharp things there are out there.

1 x packet each of paracetamol (for headaches etc), ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory), an anti-histamine (for allergic reaction or insect bites).

Folks, this isn't a hard and fast list of what should be in a first aid kit but its a good start.

dads tractor
10th August 2014, 11:14 AM
As well as the normal kit resus mask with 1 way valve ,Ventolin ,and super glue .

threedogs
10th August 2014, 11:28 AM
I stocked mine via the chemist, for most camp site scenario, burns and cuts.

Also be aware if you haven't used it, as some of your creams etc may have gone past their "used by date".
I now pack a small tube of super glue too.
My BIL packed my kitcken knives in a milk crate once handles down, I went to find something you can guess the rest.
I would love an EPI pen but they are on prescription..
I'll up grade all the time, I have a first aid sticker on my Patrol as well
Other things from memory are elka selka and some panadeine Forte, Asprin, eye drops,
and a finger guard, trust me you'll know if you'll need one and an eye patch
Late edit Ungvita I love this stuff great for cuts and grazes.

BigRAWesty
10th August 2014, 11:35 AM
Mine is a basic 100 or so peice kit but stays in the car at all times..
Never know when you'll need it

Gecko17
10th August 2014, 12:13 PM
As well as the normal kit resus mask with 1 way valve ,Ventolin ,and super glue .

All brilliant items to carry.... if you have ever had to do a resuscitation, it is all too common that the patient will throw up (especially when drunk) and the idea of a one-way valve mask is that you don't get to share that with them! (Oh the stories I could tell...)

Ventolin is another really good item as it is quite common to come across asthmatics or even people who aren't but on really dry cold nights, suffer breathing difficulties. Just keep an eye on the expiry dates.

Super glue is great for cuts that are on broad planes but no good where there are folds or creases in the skin as it will crack and disintegrate once dry. You must ensure that the wound is cleaned thoroughly and without any anesthesia, this can be very painful. Also be careful if there is nerve damage as this will need to be operated on by an orthopod.

Gecko17
10th August 2014, 12:20 PM
One thing I want to emphasize is that to be wary of dispensing medication. The simple answer is unless it is for you or a family member, don't. This may sound harsh but if you do, and there is an adverse reaction or worse, it will be your butt in a sling.

Just because you are using a medication and it works well for you is not a good reason to share it with your friends and family.... It must be dispensed to that person, for that person.

Even in a life and death situation, you may still have to justify your actions later on.

oncedisturbed
10th August 2014, 01:15 PM
Now your just showing off bwahahaha

Good info though Gecko

threedogs
11th August 2014, 09:53 AM
One thing that I now carry is a back brace and no its not for me,
Last fishing trip on of the guys had very bad back pain, and I feel one of those bib and brace style
back braces would have had him out of the discomfort he was in.
I don't wish back pain on any one but the best I can say is hot/ cold compress bandages might help
and an Asprin

Jamiepatrol
11th August 2014, 10:06 AM
I just have one of the RACV ones. Thankfully havent had to use it yet.

threedogs
11th August 2014, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking an eye wash glass would be handy,
nothing worse than having something stuck in your eye.
Even grey duct tape is useful ,I sprained my ankle one weekend
and my mate taped it up football style, worked a treat\

@ GKO as you know I just had surgery and the latest trend is to wear compression stockings,
would these be ok for snake bite or is there a special bandage to use

warner01
11th August 2014, 09:16 PM
ive just got a standard st johns 4wd first aid kit it stays in the car at all times. but i also carry a mask on my keyring so its handy even if im not near the car and need to do cpr or something.

Gecko17
12th August 2014, 12:39 AM
I'm thinking an eye wash glass would be handy,
nothing worse than having something stuck in your eye.
Even grey duct tape is useful ,I sprained my ankle one weekend
and my mate taped it up football style, worked a treat\

@ GKO as you know I just had surgery and the latest trend is to wear compression stockings,
would these be ok for snake bite or is there a special bandage to use

Not sure 3D with the compression stockings.... We used to give them to cardio patients where blood pressure and fluid retension was a issue but not sure if suitable for snake bite. I don't think they compress enough plus must be sized to each patient.

Having said that, necessity is the mother of invention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

threedogs
12th August 2014, 12:05 PM
@ GKO its the latest in surgery attire, they used to use long socks, below the knee
now they ask you to wear stockings up to your thigh during surgery

I asked the nurse who removed my staples and she thought they would be no good
best to buy the correct elastic bandage

Gecko17
12th August 2014, 09:20 PM
@ GKO its the latest in surgery attire, they used to use long socks, below the knee
now they ask you to wear stockings up to your thigh during surgery

I asked the nurse who removed my staples and she thought they would be no good
best to buy the correct elastic bandage

Agreed.... The stockings have been around for years but I would still use the compression bandages...remembering that they are for compression, not to cut off circulation.

I carry a minimum of 4 as the can be used for several different things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD