PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of hitchhiking

Bullant4x4
7th August 2014, 08:27 PM
Hi All, Just signed up and thought I would say hello.

We (family) are just in the process of planning a trip around Australia (more like leapfrog national parks and 4x4 tracks etc) for a few years and thought I should get my act together and start gathering knowledge :)

We own a 2013 Diesel, manual GU S/W which I'm just about to get a GVM upgrade and KM2s. Need to add a runva 12000 winch, pre-filter, water alarm, roof console, Icom IC-440N, making my own draws, rock sliders, cargo barrier. Also going to be towing an off-road CT.

So where to start? Thought I would start reading all the forums and see where each link takes me.

Well thanks for your time. :drunk:

Tony

Stropp
7th August 2014, 08:31 PM
Hi tony, welcome to the. Forum, sounds like you will have a nice setup to trip around with. Make sure you do a build thread so we can see your progress getting it ready.

AB
7th August 2014, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions!

Cuppa
7th August 2014, 08:40 PM
Welcome Tony (& family). Not sure I understand the reference to hitch hiking in the title of your post even though it was what drew me to your post. (I spent many of my younger years hitch hiking around the UK & Europe). You might be interested in checking out my around Australia travel blog (the big trip on my web site - link below. Wife & I spent 18 months travelling around the country in 08/09 & reckon we just about knocked the skin off, & plan on spending many more years exploring in the future. That’s why we bought our Patrol.
I will look forward to reading about your travel dreams & preparations.

MEGOMONSTER
7th August 2014, 09:39 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

thebrod
7th August 2014, 09:43 PM
Pros of hitchhiking : you might get picked up by some hot european backpackers....
Cons of hitchhiking : wolfcreek............ :fish:

Sherro
7th August 2014, 10:16 PM
G'day Tony welcome to the forum mate.

Clunk
8th August 2014, 12:22 AM
Welcome aboard mate

P4trol
8th August 2014, 12:38 AM
Welcome!

Best way to start is to do some research, gather the bare minimum, then go for a short trip! It will soon become apparent if you are lacking anywhere.

Keep notes, so your research isn't wasted.

P4trol

Bullant4x4
8th August 2014, 07:19 AM
Not sure I understand the reference to hitch hiking in the title of your post even though it was what drew me to your post.
Hey Cuppa, Could have put Hi, I'm new etc. but went with a Roger Waters song/album, and what an album it is:)

I use to hitchhike all the time. When I was about 13 it was easier. The more I grow, the harder it became. After time had to hide the grog in the grass while thumbing a ride, which turned into the finger.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the welcome.

my third 256
8th August 2014, 07:23 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

threedogs
8th August 2014, 09:18 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum.
It's illegal to hitch hike in OZ isn't it?
way too many Ivan Milats for me out there

Dhuck
8th August 2014, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Avo
8th August 2014, 08:03 PM
hi mate and welcome to the forum,great info and advice to be found here..enjoy.

NP99
8th August 2014, 11:59 PM
Welcome in mate....

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 09:50 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

growler2058
10th August 2014, 07:31 AM
Gday Tony welcome aboard mate