PDA

View Full Version : Ignition failed

threedogs
7th August 2014, 11:43 AM
Over the last few weeks my ignition barrel has been increasingly hard to turn.
I gave it a short squirt with some WD40 hoping it would help. Nada
Then the other day it took over 45 min of jiggling and swearing to start the motor.
Then I remembered my missus had a spare key which turned out to be freshly cut.
When placed side by side the one I've been using is totally flat compared to my spare,
which by the way worked first time every time. So probably just saying keep your key freshly cut
to avoid being stuck somewhere,
I'm now getting a new one cut from my fresh spare and throwing the old one.

MEGOMONSTER
7th August 2014, 12:57 PM
Thx John, lucky you were home and not on the Simpson trip.

threedogs
7th August 2014, 01:10 PM
It was very frustrating , I was outside Bunnings for an hour but all good now.
another tip is not hang too much off your key ring as well

Alitis007
7th August 2014, 02:18 PM
You'll also need to get the new key coded to your nats aswell coz they are chipped

threedogs
7th August 2014, 03:41 PM
You'll also need to get the new key coded to your nats aswell coz they are chipped
It was a spare key when I brought the Patrol, really I cant get a key cut .
Its just a key isn't it, what bit is chipped?????????????

Alitis007
7th August 2014, 06:36 PM
The black rubber bit, does it say NATS on one side??

snicko
7th August 2014, 07:00 PM
If its a NATS don't throw out the worn one as you only need to replace the blade.

All vehicles from 2000 onwards have a transponder chip and some models even earlier.

The new blade will need to be coded in. If you go to a Locksmith it should be cheaper than a dealer.

NewDan
8th August 2014, 12:10 PM
Had the same problem Threedogs, I have a spare key that came with the Patrol the will turn the ignition but wont let the motor fire. Its just that its not coded to the car. When I put the coded key into the ignition I here some very faint beeps, bad key no beeps. I found this out an hour after I got the new rig home, engine turning and turning but not starting...... and my missus yelling in the background " I can call the bank and cancel the cheque" lol.
Dan

nissannewby
8th August 2014, 12:53 PM
So the ignition didnt fail the key is just worn out. I have noticed this not having keyless entry but its usually harder to open the doors first before ignition becomes a problem

threedogs
8th August 2014, 02:08 PM
So the ignition didnt fail the key is just worn out. I have noticed this not having keyless entry but its usually harder to open the doors first before ignition becomes a problem
Spot on first the doors were a tad harder to open, as yes the key is worn out.
It does not have NATS written on it just the Nissan logo.
Does not look electronic to me.
Build date is 5/04

snicko
8th August 2014, 06:46 PM
Spot on first the doors were a tad harder to open, as yes the key is worn out.
It does not have NATS written on it just the Nissan logo.
Does not look electronic to me.
Build date is 5/04

Sorry threedogs but it would have a transponder chip in it.

My suggestion would be to take it to a Locksmith and see what they can do.

threedogs
12th August 2014, 01:53 PM
Heres my spare key ,
looks like a normal car key to me.
Compared to the one it replaced
this one has more pronounced ridges,
and works just great on all doors and ignition

It does not come apart

rusty_nail
12th August 2014, 02:09 PM
Heres my spare key ,
looks like a normal car key to me.
Compared to the one it replaced
this one has more pronounced ridges,
and works just great on all doors and ignition

It does not come apart

TD, here is a picture of my VW polo key. The car has an immobiliser and will not work without the key. It does not come apart but there is a transponder in the key and the car wont work without the plastic part at the head. I think Snicko is right in saying that your key will have the same problem matey, bu there isnt any harm in trying a different cut key...

Bob
12th August 2014, 02:17 PM
My 1998 GU Key has a Red insert (Near the Metal Key)in the Plastic Head of the Key which is the Transponder.
It is the same as my 2002 Nissan Maxima

See this :-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-transponder-key-Pulsar-Xtrail-Navara-Patrol-/161218148088?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258959b6f8&vxp=mtr

threedogs
12th August 2014, 03:13 PM
Im going to try and open the other one , the only reason it failed was because it was worn down, not from any electronic failure.
my remote is separate, But Ill concede at this stage, till I open it

Winnie
12th August 2014, 03:19 PM

Yeah my key is worn down heaps, turns the ignition fine but really struggles to open the doors. Like you though I have keyless entry so do not worry about that part. I have a brand new spare key but it is not genuine and doesn't say Nissan so I don't like it... haha

snicko
12th August 2014, 06:34 PM
Im going to try and open the other one , the only reason it failed was because it was worn down, not from any electronic failure.
my remote is separate, But Ill concede at this stage, till I open it

It will have either a carbon wedge or glass chip in it. If you try to open the sealed key you run the risk of breaking the chip.
If the chip is broken then no one can read the information on the chip. Not a good thing. I would not recommend opening the key at this stage.
Take it to a Locksmith and he will let you know your options.

Clunk
12th August 2014, 08:30 PM
It will have either a carbon wedge or glass chip in it. If you try to open the sealed key you run the risk of breaking the chip.
If the chip is broken then no one can read the information on the chip. Not a good thing. I would not recommend opening the key at this stage.

Clever folk these locksmiths hey, it's a shame when folk don't appear to be taking what's being suggested to them, on board ;).............. I'll watch this space with interest

threedogs
13th August 2014, 10:39 AM

Had a good look at the key and it appears as you suggest that that there is a wedge next to the key[as per pic]
Ill take it to a locks smith, but what I cant understand is why a chip would require the key to be jiggled to work.
When the two keys are side by side its amazing the worn one worked at all

snicko
14th August 2014, 10:39 AM
The chip has nothing to do with jiggling the key to make the vehicle start.

Your key must be so badly worn that it doesn't turn the barrel any more.

Use the good one and get another one cut and coded from a Locksmith.

rusty_nail
15th August 2014, 09:27 AM
Clever folk these locksmiths hey, it's a shame when folk don't appear to be taking what's being suggested to them, on board ;).............. I'll watch this space with interest

hit the nail on the head there mate. you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink...

Wizard52
21st August 2014, 04:36 PM
If its a NATS don't throw out the worn one as you only need to replace the blade.

All vehicles from 2000 onwards have a transponder chip and some models even earlier.

The new blade will need to be coded in. If you go to a Locksmith it should be cheaper than a dealer.

Hi Snicko
My 06 ute only has plain steel keys and no rubber or plastic as in photos in this thread so I presume no chip?

Driver's door is a bit hard to open from time to time with both keys so will have to check out lock.

snicko
21st August 2014, 10:28 PM
Hi Snicko
My 06 ute only has plain steel keys and no rubber or plastic as in photos in this thread so I presume no chip?

Driver's door is a bit hard to open from time to time with both keys so will have to check out lock.

You may have the same problem as threedogs as your keys may be badly worn. This is usually the first place to start.
Go to a locksmith who has the knowledge and equipment to cut a key back to original.

If your keys are all steel with no plastic and start the car then there is no transponder.

This is what a glass chip and a carbon wedge look like so they need the plastic to protect them.

The key mechanically works the barrel and the chip talks to the computer to let the car start.

If this doesn't fix the problem then your barrels are worn and need to be replaced. They will only get worse and you could end up like threedogs being stuck somewhere.

I would not recommend you buy second hand as you may be getting ones worse than yours and your keys wont work them either.

Again the locksmith will let you know your options.

Clunk
22nd August 2014, 01:24 AM
Hi Snicko

Is your Ute a DX by any chance?

Wizard52
22nd August 2014, 09:34 AM
Is your Ute a DX by any chance?

HI Clunk

yes the poverty pack by choice as I did not want carpets, electric windows and mirrors. The bench seat is a pain though.

threedogs
22nd August 2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Snicko

When my doors were hard to open with the key
I just gave a quick squirt of CRC or similar into the key hole with the tube on the can.
You don't need much !!

snicko
22nd August 2014, 09:44 AM
I just gave a quick squirt of CRC or similar into the key hole with the tube on the can.
You don't need much !!

You are right sometimes that's all it takes but if it does not do the trick or only lasts for a short time then the next step is needed.

Winnie
22nd August 2014, 10:09 AM
You don't need much !!

I thought you shouldn't use wet sprays in locks and are supposed to use graphite?

taslucas
22nd August 2014, 11:48 AM
I thought you shouldn't use wet sprays in locks and are supposed to use graphite?

Yeah I've heard that too.

snicko
22nd August 2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah I've heard that too.

Graphite is only to be used on locks that have ABSOLUTELY NO chance of getting moisture in them.

Graphite and water equal problems.

Winnie
22nd August 2014, 12:25 PM
Graphite is only to be used on locks that have ABSOLUTELY NO chance of getting moisture in them.

Thanks mate =)

Clunk
22nd August 2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks Snicko, that I did not know........ amongst a lot of things lol