PDA

View Full Version : TB42 brakes suddenly while driving

deltono
6th August 2014, 06:45 PM
Hi guys, got a problem with my 1991 GQ: I'm traveling through WA at the moment and in the last couple hundred kilometers the car brakes suddenly for a second while driving at a constant speed. The engine speed drops but engine doesn't stall and then it's running fine again. It happens randomly and today 3 times within 200km.
About the car:
- tb42s
- carby
- automatic transmission

Cheers,
Daniel

happygu
6th August 2014, 08:16 PM
Daniel,

Is the car actually braking, or is the engine hesitating?

deltono
7th August 2014, 02:47 PM
happygu,

It feels like the engine brakes (and engine speed drops), but like I said only for a second! Has nothing to do with the brakes.

liftlid
7th August 2014, 05:23 PM
Fuel filter?

deltono
7th August 2014, 08:18 PM
The very first time I had the problem was 10.000km ago, but just once, till last week. So could it be the fuel filter? I have never replaced the filter since I bought the car in nov 2012.

93patrol
7th August 2014, 08:25 PM
I would say either fuel issue or ignition issue ie spark plug has a crack

happygu
7th August 2014, 09:11 PM
Check the distributor advance mechanism, any components to do with spark, the fuel filter and fuel pickup point in the tank, and carby.....

These will be the areas to look at first.

deltono
12th August 2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your replies! I changed the fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and the oil, but still have the same problem... :(

deltono
6th January 2015, 01:01 PM
Sorry for my late reply, for all who have the same problem, I fixed it myself with a carby repair kit, it cost me 120$ at Burson. I did a deep clean, replaced a few parts and now it's running fine.

Bigcol
6th January 2015, 01:14 PM
thanks for the update deltono

it helps when people report how the issues were solved for others.............

threedogs
6th January 2015, 01:23 PM
X 2 with what Bigcol said most will fix and forget to report.
I wondered why someone dug up and old thread thanks again
makes the forum knowledge bank just a tad bigger and thats a good thing