PDA

View Full Version : installing 12v outlets into cargo area of GU

Mokman
5th August 2014, 10:32 PM
Good evening Forumites looking for a little guidance as I am a bit of a noob when comes to sparky stuff!
The situation is I have a 1998 GU TB45 dual fuel and I am keen to install a 12v outlet in the rear cargo area to run Waeco CFX 40 fridge with view to expand to other things like lighting in the future. To keep things simple and pretty numpty proof the plan is to run directly from the battery 8b&s cable with an inline fuse through the firewall into the cabin behind the panels and trim to the rear LHS internal inspection panel.
The big questions I have are as follows....
1. I know this one will sound dumb but here goes how is the best way to get the cable through the fire wall with out going making a hash of it.

2. What sized fuse should I be looking at ?

3. Is the plan a sound one or is the missus likely to find a pile of ashes?

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

megatexture
5th August 2014, 10:39 PM
There is a large grommet under the rear quarter panel, you could run your cable along the chassis rail an in that grommet there is a left and right one so take your pick.

If you went the left side you could use one of these panels or just put in some flush mount cig/ merit plugs https://www.autoelec.com.au/ssl/public_autoelec/store_v2/product_detail.asp?id=2123&cat=52

lucus30
5th August 2014, 11:54 PM
Good evening Forumites looking for a little guidance as I am a bit of a noob when comes to sparky stuff!
The situation is I have a 1998 GU TB45 dual fuel and I am keen to install a 12v outlet in the rear cargo area to run Waeco CFX 40 fridge with view to expand to other things like lighting in the future. To keep things simple and pretty numpty proof the plan is to run directly from the battery 8b&s cable with an inline fuse through the firewall into the cabin behind the panels and trim to the rear LHS internal inspection panel.
The big questions I have are as follows....
1. I know this one will sound dumb but here goes how is the best way to get the cable through the fire wall with out going making a hash of it.

Sounds good to me. I've done the same.

Run the cable through the existing grommets in the firewall on the passenger side using a coat hanger and then underneath the door kick panels.

Personally I'd use a fuse well below the max current rating of your cable. I'd rather have a larger margin of error than bang on calculations

Cuppa
5th August 2014, 11:58 PM
Fuse size will vary depending upon what you are running from it. Fuse size should be the lowest it can be without blowing when the fridge (& later other loads) are connected. I’d guess that a 5 amp fuse would suffice. Change fuse to suit when you add further loads.

For panel mounting I prefer these ‘Hella type’ of plugs & sockets over cig & merit plugs. They have more contact area & a firmer grip making them more reliable, especially over rough roads (& are also rated to 15 or 16 amps).

megatexture
6th August 2014, 12:10 AM
Look much the same to me and are also 15 amp, can't say I've seen a merit plug for lower than 15 amp unless you look at the cig plugs with the little plastic end but I wouldn't call that a merit plug.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2090&w=merit+plug&form=KEYWORD

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS2092

liftlid
6th August 2014, 08:44 AM
The fuse size you use has to be smaller than the current rating of the cable you have run, you do not wack in a bigger fuse just because what you have plugged in draws too much current blowing the current fuse.
The fuse is there to protect the wiring not the appliance.

threedogs
6th August 2014, 10:11 AM
I ran some HD figure 8 down the inside of the Patrol its a shorter run that way IMO.

Cuppa
6th August 2014, 10:36 AM
Look much the same to me and are also 15 amp, can't say I've seen a merit plug for lower than 15 amp unless you look at the cig plugs with the little plastic end but I wouldn't call that a merit plug.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2090&w=merit+plug&form=KEYWORD

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS2092

My apologies MT. I have always thought of Merit plugs as being the ciggie plug adapter type which has less contact area http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto.asp?id=8949&IMAGE=
I hadn’t realised there were two types both referred to (by some) as Merit. The one’s you link to do look much the same as ‘my’ preferred Hella type.

the evil twin
6th August 2014, 11:37 AM

1. If you use 8 B&S then I would route it as Megatexture suggests.
Personally I don't like anything that heavy thru the firewall and I go underneath but no biggee.

2. You fuse at the Battery in respect to the cable rating not the equipment you run off it.
For 8 B&S (as opposed to 8mm Auto cable) 60 amp is the nominal size.
I would use a self resetting CB or Maxi fuse or equivalent.

2A. You then fuse the equipment individually at the distribution point or the equipment itself.
Your Waeco will already be fused but anything like lights etc will need a seperate fuse of 5 amps or whatever.
The reason for that is if you only have one small fuse (say 10 amps) at the battery and your lights fail then it kills your fridge power until you figure out what is wrong and isolate/repair.

3. The most important thing in any electrical work is always get the apprentice to turn the gear on.
That way anything that happens is their fault

threedogs
6th August 2014, 11:42 AM
Some even refer to them as European style sockets in cataloges,
but agree 100% much better than a normal cig socket. If running any accessories
lean towards the "merit" as they are a more reliable contact, cigs will just rattle out.
and what ever you're trying to run will fail.
Merit are not a great expense around $6 from memory

Cuppa
6th August 2014, 01:56 PM
2. You fuse at the Battery in respect to the cable rating not the equipment you run off it.
For 8 B&S (as opposed to 8mm Auto cable) 60 amp is the nominal size.
I would use a self resetting CB or Maxi fuse or equivalent.

ET is correct. My advice earlier would work, but would be less convenient. Use a CB.
However as using the thicker cable is more about avoiding voltage drop, as opposed to current carrying capacity I would suggest that the CB capacity need be enough to carry the anticipated max current rather than necessarily the full current the cable is capable of carrying. Either will do the job of protecting the cable should a short occur, but if I had a lower capacity CB which was up to the job laying around I wouldn’t bother going to the expense of buying a larger one. If it is possible that as yet unknown accessories will be plugged in to the end of the cable, then putting in the larger CB now will save any chance of having to swap it out down the track.

FNQGU
6th August 2014, 02:59 PM
The Merit Plug (Hella Plug) is a huge improvement on the cig socket, but no one has mentioned yet that the 50A Anderson plug is better again.

The setups mentioned above are spot on. You could even run the 8B&S via a CB to a Fuse Block like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111392924435?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I am just mounting one up underneath the side covers on my rear drawers. 10A fuse then to the fridge, and sort out all your lights or other power sockets from there.

Maybe another idea for consideration anyway.

If you do run the cable beneath the vehicle, remember to protect it where exposed with a bit of split tubing. Not needed inside the chassis of course.

threedogs
7th August 2014, 07:37 AM
Cuppa has mentioned the 50 amp Anderson [genuine] a few times in different threads for fridge connections.
One at the rear and one at the front just for a GPO would be handy IMO ,

Mokman
22nd August 2014, 04:05 PM
Hey guys just wanna say thanks this is the first time in weeks I have had time to jump online!
It is amazing the reply I have had and the ideas you have all given me this weekend is the weekend it will be all happening so i will make sure i take pics to show you all how it went!:1087: