PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start GQ 4.2 Diesel

Cunza
19th February 2011, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,
I have a '91 GQ 4.2 Diesel and need to pump the accelerator to get it started and when it finally gets going it hasn't got the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. . . . . it has a extra fuel pump mounted 12'' from the fuel pump. Do you have any ideas before I rip out the pump and replace it, which I really don't want to do as I want to sell Troll.
cheers
Cunza

YNOT
19th February 2011, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the forum Cunza. it's always nice to post an introduction before asking questions.

Tony

Dhuck
19th February 2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Cunza

Cunza
19th February 2011, 03:51 PM
Please excuse my ignorance... I am new to forums.

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 04:08 PM
Please excuse my ignorance... I am new to forums.

No harm mate, just a courtesy thing - you could imagine how many people sign on just to get a bit of info and then you never hear from them again. We just like to know a bit about you and your rig is all. Top forum mate, so stick around and join in to make the most of it.

Cunza
19th February 2011, 04:36 PM
No harm mate, just a courtesy thing - you could imagine how many people sign on just to get a bit of info and then you never hear from them again. We just like to know a bit about you and your rig is all. Top forum mate, so stick around and join in to make the most of it.

We live in the Pilbara and have seen mostof it but not all in the 12 years we have been here, we first bought a '91 GQ Wagon 4.2 Diesel and has been awesome vehicle reco-ed the donk 6 years ago after the good Wife cooked it, so I kept the Trol for my chariot and we bought the wife a '03 GU Wagon 3Ltr Diesel and we are looking to up grade her's and selling mine off as i have a work vehichle, hense the querie on GQ Trol.
cheers

Maxhead
20th February 2011, 08:05 AM
G'Day Cunza, welcome to the forum mate. Good luck on the upgrade...

Rick
20th February 2011, 10:50 AM
Hey Cunza is the vehicle blowing any smoke when you start it the colour is important as well.......starting problem could be glow plugs try glowing it twice or three times before starting this will work if glows are taking longer to heat up but if they are not working then it will make no difference.....lack of power with no smoke could be timing...

1tuffgq
20th February 2011, 12:25 PM
i will buy it as is of you now give me a price

wildgu6
20th February 2011, 02:07 PM
Hey buddy, Welcome aboard,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

Cunza
26th February 2011, 12:22 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the welcome and regarding the hard to start Trol, Rick when it eventually starts, it is the normal grey/black smoke and not a thing when driving behind, but I went back to basics and by process of elimination I started with cleaning and checking fuel flow (pump), Pre-heat system from dash to rail & plugs to adjusting the fuel pump on the timing marks and the final out come was Trol is starting much better, but still lacking power. At this stage I'll keep scratching my head.
Thanks for the offer 1tuffgq but I have a few guys asked, if I want to sell it could they have 1st dibs, I wish I had a dozen up here.
Cheers Cunza.

Cunza
26th February 2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the offer 1tuffgq but I have a few guys asked, if I want to sell it could they have 1st dibs, I wish I had a dozen up here.
Cheers Cunza.

big_fletch
27th February 2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Cunza

Fletcha

patch697
3rd May 2011, 07:44 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul