PDA

View Full Version : Cooktown shire maybe RV friendly but ..

HuskyInAuz
3rd August 2014, 08:13 PM
Cooktown has signs, website and other notices around that they are "RV" friendly.. just don't bring a tent, camper trailer or portapotty to any of the councils facilities is what we have found out today. A few "NO CAMPING" signs next to "RV Area" signs. There are a heck of a lot of $$$ caravans and motorhomes around parked in the 48 hour zones but no CT/Tents (which we have). Have seen a lot of CT's coming through town to fill up with petrol/fuel though.

Think I'll go down to the council office tomorrow and ask what the problem is with 60 y/o's camping ??

FNQGU
3rd August 2014, 08:24 PM
Did you find the caravan park?

There is a good little drive out to the Coloured Sands via Hopevale to Ellim Beach. Camping there is a lot nicer too.

Cuppa
3rd August 2014, 08:39 PM
Agree - Elim Beach is a wonderful spot. Call in to the Hopevale store for a’mud map’ to get you there (small fee).

The Campervan & Motorhome Club who are responsible for the RV Friendly scheme have also been promoting ‘self contained only’ sites across the country. Many of these sites which were previously open to all are slowly being converted to sites for only those with built in grey water tanks. I have argued for several years that this is unjust & will disadvantage other travellers & that what should be happening is that organisations like the CMCA should be lobbying for local authorities to accept that it is their responsibility to provide short term (24-72 hours) basic services (space to camp, toilet & drinking water) for folks travelling in their jurisdiction. My arguments have largely fallen on deaf ears despite my predictions/warnings that the CMCA’s actions will result on the rest of the travelling public viewing their members with disdain. I really think you should let the local council know your views.

That said I loved Cooktown. Have you been out to Home Rule to camp yet? Don’t miss the opportunity.

EDIT. If you like Pizza, get one from the Pizza place in front of the Orchid caravan Park. Bit of a surprise, but was the best pizza I’ve ever had in Australia! As good as any in Europe.

There are also a couple of camping parks just a bit north of Cooktown - one at a Clydesdale(I think) farm alongside the Endeavour river (Stay away from the banks though, a chap was taken by a croc when we were up there) and a bit further north again, another (recognisable by all it’s palm trees) which has a nice waterfall & safe swimming spot behind it.

http://www.endeavourriverescape.com

http://www.endeavourfallstouristpark.com.au

jack
3rd August 2014, 09:31 PM
Yeap we went to use the dump point at the RV Area in Cooktown and were rather rudely told by the campers that we were not allowed to camp there. We were on the way to Kalpower Crossing and they even seemed put out that I was actually using their dump point, could feel the eyes on my back the whole time. Agree with Cuppa, they have certainly been taken over.
Also best coffee is at Jackey Jackey in main street.

HuskyInAuz
9th August 2014, 09:35 PM
Since we had the dogs we only drove through the national park but picked up some great tucker at the Lakeland store on the way to Cooktown and on the lap through the park.

I talked with a council worker tenting, camper trailers are not allowed in the 'special' RV areas to stay. She said they were bad anyway and gave me other places ( which I will post when I get off this tablet)

We really enjoyed Cooktown and will go back to that area when we refit. we found a really good pizza place a bit further south.

I wouldn't waste time going to Port Douglas or Cairns again.

Had the best Bara and Spanish Mackeral Fish and Chips at Nick's in Townsville.... Excellent and that's mho from someone who gets Jervis bay flattiies all the time. On Bowen street. stopped in whist coming back from replacing our 35 y/o camp stove and the no the way down the coast the other day.