PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump RD2.8t

krbrooking
3rd August 2014, 08:04 PM
As the title states my pump has pooed itself.

My first Q is can I get a service kit and fix it myself.
The other one is the cause of the prob. The pump is able to turn backwards as many revaluations as I want but going forward it will intermittently just stop dead and will not keep turning forward but will still turn backwards. I now have the belt off and I am able to turn it with just my fingers, like said before will turn back but when turning forward it just stops dead, when I wiggle it back and forward it will eventually free itself up, I can then rotate a few times before it locks up again.
I am thinking that one of the springs on the veins have failed and the vein is hitting the rotor as it turns.

Thanks in advance.

krbrooking
4th August 2014, 05:46 PM
Also are they easily serviced item, or is it cheaper to just get a second hand one.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

krbrooking
5th August 2014, 08:54 AM
Bump.

It's amazing how quick threads flow to the bottom.

Patrolling Paddy
6th August 2014, 12:52 PM
Not done one of these pumps but am currently looking at doing my TD42 pump.
The vane pumps don't have springs to operate the vanes, they are forced out by centrifugal force when the pump spins and back in again by the shape of the pump cam, the cam is eccentric to the vane rotor.
I would suggest that if it is jamming then something is inside the pump, either part of the pump has failed or you have contamination of a significant amount. By turning your pump back and forward, whatever is in there is freeing and jamming.

The little bit I have read so far suggests it is cheaper to get a replacement pump, this might be if you are paying others for labour, I'm unsure.
If you are mechanically competent it should be a fairly straightforward job however if you strip it and find failed components you might find that the costs blow out or that you might not be able to buy the other parts individually and you may end up have to get another pump anyway.
I don't know this but, old Murphy has a way of sticking his nose into most of my easy fixes.

Hope this helps

krbrooking
6th August 2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice mate. I have been quoted $125 for a second hand one so I will get that and put it in and keep the old one and strip it down to see what was wrong and f I can fix it.

Sent from me using Forum Runner