PDA

View Full Version : 3816 kms and then ....

HuskyInAuz
3rd August 2014, 06:38 PM
We put on 3816 km's on the 'trol on the way up here, Cookston, without a single squawk. We then decided today to take the Endeavor road out of town and do the Old Lara/Lara loop for a day drive. The Amanda's/Dobsons setup worked GREAT!!

All went fine until we finished at the Split Rock paintings site and started to leave the parking lot. Pulled out onto the road and heard a pop of some kind but could have been a rock coming out of the tyre too. Anyway, started up the hill, significantly less power, EGT's when higher than ever and close what the Kenworth gets fully loaded (900'F) slowed down, cooled down to around 700F ( Autometer gauges are in F) but usually run around 550.
Up another hill, crawling and temp when up again over 900F, oil and water temps fine...

This time on the next flat I pulled over and popped the bonnet.

Quiz time (I found the problem and fixed it ... ) Any guesses, thoughts or known fixes?

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2014, 06:44 PM
Intercooler hose popped off or boost line popped off.

HuskyInAuz
3rd August 2014, 06:46 PM
BINGO, first one wins ... a lot of knowledge on this forum !!!
Intercooler hose popped off on the Lara washboard drive.. 'trol not ready for long distance corrugations yet .

Cuppa
3rd August 2014, 08:07 PM
Phew! Bet you were relieved! In my experience problems are really only problems until a solution becomes available.

HuskyInAuz
3rd August 2014, 08:30 PM
Yes, absolutely !! A long ways from home.
If it had been in a different type of craft I would have known pretty quickly without looking but never had an intercooled vehicle before. Only consultation while I was trying to find a place to pull over was the idiot oil gauge hadn't come on and the water temp was good.
Lessons, double clamp a few more hoses, buy a couple more direct reading gauges.

About a half dozen SUV's passed us by when I had the hood up and was working on the hose, no one slowed or stopped. Young kid from a farm about 700M off the road came out on his ATV to see if there was a problem just as I shut the hood. I wasn't thinking quick enough, should have given him $5 just for his good thoughts.

jack
3rd August 2014, 08:41 PM
About a half dozen SUV's passed us by when I had the hood up and was working on the hose, no one slowed or stopped. Young kid from a farm about 700M off the road came out on his ATV to see if there was a problem just as I shut the hood. I wasn't thinking quick enough, should have given him $5 just for his good thoughts.
That's dissapointing about the SUV's, when we were up there we stopped for anyone who looked like they might be in trouble. Always got waved on (which was good because I probably would have been useless anyway), one guy did offer us a cuppa and sandwiches.

Patrol-Guy
3rd August 2014, 09:41 PM
I had pulled over the other day to tighten a rope on the roof rack and a bloke pulled up to see if I was ok.

Nice fella.