PDA

View Full Version : Bloody fuel tank is rusty!!

matty_3977
2nd August 2014, 09:07 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anybody knows the difference between tanks from gq model to model, I have a 1994 tb42 efi with a ga conversion but alas my belly tank is rusty.

I can get a new 73lt tank installed with a new fuel pump but im not really a fan of spending 1300 bucks on something like that.

I have also been offered a few second hand tanks from 4.2 diesels but i have been told there is 2 different kinds of pick ups one narrower than the other thus i have 2 questions.

1. does anybody know which the efi is?

2. will the 4.2 diesel tank go in my car?

thanks in advance.

MudRunnerTD
2nd August 2014, 09:47 PM
Yes the sub tak from any GQ will go straight in mate. Factory or long range wonton make a difference. It will bolt straight up. A GU sub tank will not fit though. The GU and GQ share the same rear tank though!!

The difference will be in the sender unit and yours is likely functional if its still pumping so just remove and fit to the new tank. They are a dime a dozen for a GQ and you will get a long ranger cheap as chips.

matty_3977
2nd August 2014, 09:55 PM
Yes the sub tak from any GQ will go straight in mate. Factory or long range wonton make a difference. It will bolt straight up. A GU sub tank will not fit though. The GU and GQ share the same rear tank though!!

The difference will be in the sender unit and yours is likely functional if its still pumping so just remove and fit to the new tank. They are a dime a dozen for a GQ and you will get a long ranger cheap as chips.

just the answer i needed to hear thanks heaps mate

matty_3977
9th October 2014, 10:03 AM
I got a LR tank from a mate in my 4WD club, but it doesn't have a sender unit in it. A mechanic mate of mine tried to find a fuel pump for it but come back to me and said that the requires a external pump has any body come across this before, if so what should I do and where can i find one?

Winnie
9th October 2014, 12:45 PM
Umm, don't you have one in your car? Just reuse it!

matty_3977
8th November 2014, 02:01 PM
Ok guys question I got a new sub tank for the old girl but it's completely different from the one in it it doesn't even look it bolts up the same.
Is the ute belly tanks different from the wagon belly tanks. And I have a return hose on one end of my current tank and the new one I got DOESNT HELP!!!

the evil twin
8th November 2014, 02:08 PM
The belly tank set up on a gas conversion vehicle is different.
With a conversion the belly has to act as if it was the main with fuel return from the engine
Normally the belly doesn't feed the engine it just transfers to the main so no fuel return req'd

matty_3977
8th November 2014, 02:12 PM
Right, so the tank I got is pretty much useless then?

the evil twin
8th November 2014, 02:45 PM
Right, so the tank I got is pretty much useless then?

Dunno... I am not exactly sure what happens when they do a gas conversion.
It may be a simple process to "mod" the tank you have, then again, it may not but there are 1'000's of EFI LPG Patrols out there.

I had one for 4 years but sold it a while back so can't remember exactly how the setup was now.