PDA

View Full Version : Rear Factory locker in 89 GQ

SKID
2nd August 2014, 05:36 PM
Had a problem with the solinoid slowly failing to the point when I started the car in the morning the diff locker was engaged, and would take forever to disengage, and it made a hell of a bang when it did. I got a replacement solinoid from phnumatic's but my problem now is the locker wont stay engaged, With no poer to the solinoid it holds the locker off, which is good, but now when I power it on, It might stay engaged for a few minutes at a time, or while driving on dirt it may engage-disengage-engage-disengage-engage-disengage or stay disengaged for a few minutes then decide to engage again for a few minutes or a few seconds. I've replace the vacuum hoses which didnt make a difference, have trid hot wiring the solinoid just incase it was an intermitent electrical issue, no difference. I've also tried swapping the vacuum hoses arpound so with no power to it, it should have constant vacuum to the locker, but it does exactly the same as above it wont stay enaged. I cant find any info about the locker in my workshop manual, so any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreicated, Also if anyone has the section of the manual or suppliment with details about working on the factory locker I'd really appreicate it.

SKID
3rd August 2014, 10:07 AM
All it says in my manual is if I have a factory locker to take it to a professional if there is a problem, and another section tells me how much oil to use to fill the diff with a locker..

warner01
4th August 2014, 09:25 PM
Couold be the solinoid on the diff. i had a factory locker in my old gq and the under bonnet solinoids failed so i replaced them. then it worked for a while untill not long later it stopped enguaging. through a bit of research i herd the rear solinoid fails too so maybe try looking at that. i never got around to fixing the problem with mine but ive still got the diff and will fix the locker before i put it back in.