PDA

View Full Version : Towing tips

Chefpatrol
1st August 2014, 08:56 PM
Hi guys, just looking for some advise. I own a 2003 3l td GU it's pretty much stock we have just returned from a trip across The Simpson Desert and the truck preformed great. But we are now thinking about getting a caravan or camper trailer. I was wanting to hear people's thoughts on towing, should I get a chip and exhaust fitted for a bit more grunt or should I consider something bigger. Would I be putting to much on the 3L towing something? Thanks in advance guys.

happygu
1st August 2014, 09:09 PM
The 3 litre will tow fairly well, especially with a chip and exhaust, but without knowing your intended tow weight it is hard to comment.

dads tractor
2nd August 2014, 10:12 AM
Chefpatrol I,ve just returned from the Finke Desert race and we dragged a closed in bike trailer with 3 race bikes and race gear plus camp gear and 3x 200 lt drums of diesel on its back and could not fault the 3lt .The only mod was a Beaudesert 2 3/4 'exhaust straight through from the turbo and it shone compared to the v8 toy diesel travelling with us as far as economy and driveability.

the evil twin
2nd August 2014, 12:40 PM
What they all said ^^^^^

I towed a very heavy camper trailer for maybe 20,000 K's over 5 years behind my 3 litre albeit an 07 CRD

Check any Caravan park or major highway, 87 Gazillion grey nomads can't be wrong.
The number is dropping tho but not because the Patrol isn't suitable, just because they are old technology.
The G.N's now have a huge choice of 3 to 3 1/2 ton rated tugs at way cheaper prices, same performance and better economy/features, mainly ute based but more and more wagon derivatives are available now.