PDA

View Full Version : DECLASSIFIED PHOTO's "B-29 "Enola Gay"

NP99
26th July 2014, 04:10 PM
This is an unbelievable set of photos - the REAL thing - pix from Tinian Island as the B-29 "Enola Gay" was being loaded. Today it takes about 100 times the number of people and TONS of paperwork to accomplish the same end.
Notice the "Top Secret" stamp on some of the photos. In the last few pix notice the CRUDE sheet metal work on the casing and fins of "Little Boy" - the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.......

Gives a little look into the other side of the engineering on the first atomic bombs, the mechanical and logistical work that it took to handle, store, transport, and load them.

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

threedogs
26th July 2014, 04:19 PM
wow so small for the amount of damage achieved,
Part of our history which I hope is never repeated

Bloodyaussie
26th July 2014, 04:25 PM
Wow............

04OFF
26th July 2014, 04:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting !

MEGOMONSTER
26th July 2014, 05:07 PM
Fascinating pics. Thanks.

NP99
26th July 2014, 07:13 PM
Wish I had a chance to sign it......

90mav
26th July 2014, 08:49 PM
It looks like they had a bit of trouble getting it in there judging by the scrapes and marks on the fins and casing. I wonder what the aircrew was thinking about how fast the plane would go when they dropped and turned to get out of dodge! No-one knew how fast the explosion would go and if the aircraft would be enveloped by the blast.
I hope it scared them enough to not want a repeat...

NP99
26th July 2014, 10:41 PM
It looks like they had a bit of trouble getting it in there judging by the scrapes and marks on the fins and casing. I wonder what the aircrew was thinking about how fast the plane would go when they dropped and turned to get out of dodge! No-one knew how fast the explosion would go and if the aircraft would be enveloped by the blast.
I hope it scared them enough to not want a repeat...

Don't have to deliver those payloads from old bombers anymore....

Ronin
27th July 2014, 01:02 PM
I was just reading this. Diary of a nuclear Bomb Technician (http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n15/mike-kirby/diary)

Gavshe
27th July 2014, 01:56 PM
It's amazing how fast man adapts, creates and advances with technologies.

The atomic bomb was one of mans most marvellous and increadable achievements, to split an atom.

It's also heart breaking to know how destructive man can be.

Why don't the great leaders of man stop hiding behind thousands / millions of men women and children and go toe to toe when they disagree or feel the need to invade another land or ideals and beliefs.

Thanks for the Photos, information like this needs to be preserved
Gavin

PatRocRan
9th August 2014, 05:54 PM
Nice thread mate good bit of history there. Scarry be very interesting cheers!

mudski
10th August 2014, 04:53 PM
Great pictures there. I could look at stuff like this all day. It's an important piece of history. Just a shame they put all this work into this for nothing.

growler2058
10th August 2014, 04:55 PM
Great pictures there. I could look at stuff like this all day. It's an important piece of history. Just a shame they put all this work into this for nothing.

Wouldn't say for nothing it ended the war, unfortunately too many innocents were indiscriminately killed

Drewboyaus
10th August 2014, 06:35 PM
Wouldn't say for nothing it ended the war, unfortunately too many innocents were indiscriminately killed

Word!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner