PDA

View Full Version : instrument cluster troubles

wannabeturboed
26th July 2014, 02:35 PM
I am trying to sort out multiple troubles with my cluster in my 91 tb42 I bought a cluster off a 92 model carby and it doesn't plug up so rather than cut a patch lead to suit I am trying to fix my old one

my tacho I got working today (loose wire at coil)

oil pressure is working (didnt need to touch) got a pressure reg a year ago

fuel guage only half working (halfway is empty) 72litre belly tank

volt metre not working where does its remote wire to (I have dual batteries could be a removed wire or is there a fuse or relay for it)

my speedo I am sure is wrong (out by 10-15 kph)

Any help would be great cause so far none of the problems have been in the cluster itself

wannabeturboed
26th July 2014, 02:37 PM
Oh and temp doesn't work either (I wired in a pod gauge for that)

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2014, 02:44 PM
Mudnut is your man I reckon mate.

wannabeturboed
26th July 2014, 03:02 PM
I got 3 clusters beforefinding out they are different

GQ TANK
26th July 2014, 04:14 PM
Once you have 25 posts you can download the manual - there are 3 versions of the dash listed - type a, b & C

mudnut
26th July 2014, 06:22 PM
G,day, wannabe. Have a look at this thread for info about adjusting the speedo :
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?23540-Gq-Speedo-adjustment-to-read-correct-speed&highlight=adjust+speedo

And this to check the wiring too the speedo:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27775-GQ-Speedo-reads-overspeed-sometimes

There is some simple tests to check the Fuel Sender in the manual.

The sender should range from 4.3 to 5.7 ohms at FULL. 74.3 to 84.8 ohms at EMPTY.

The wiring to the voltmeter is a yellow/red wire (ignition) and it supplies the speedo, fuel gauge via the printed circuit on the back of the cluster. This is a TB42E gauge cluster. The purple arrow, (under the yellow arrow) should be the ignition wire that supplies the voltmeter.

Rossco
26th July 2014, 06:26 PM
Sounds like your fuel sender might be the culprit for your fuel gauge issues. Also what size tyres are you running, these will change the speedo, as will different diff ratios.

mudnut
26th July 2014, 06:28 PM
You might be able to swap various gauges from your spare clusters, too. Once you pop the shroud and clear cover off, it is relatively simple to unscrew them and take them out. What are you going to do with the spare gauge clusters?

wannabeturboed
27th July 2014, 10:22 PM
I have spent the evening pulling the clusters apart and have gotten everything working again . Basically all the gauges were buggered and I had already changed all the senders the dates on all my gauges eere dated 11/09/91 and the good working cluetrr I got was a 11/91 one so didnt fit so I pulled it apart and used the gauges in my casing (not the speedo or the tacho though cause they are different screw fitting)

wannabeturboed
27th July 2014, 10:23 PM
I dont have any plans with the spare clusters but I wont toss them

wannabeturboed
27th July 2014, 10:31 PM
I put 76.7 litres in my 72 litre tank today I think the servos gauges are out worse than mine .
I run my tank dry about once a month with my miscalculation of the gauge and cause im dual fuel and bone dry I have never fit more than 73.5 litres in so someone is lying

mudnut
27th July 2014, 11:36 PM
That's excellent that you got them going. Thank you for the feedback.

wannabeturboed
28th July 2014, 08:16 PM
All I need now is to source a proper speedo gauge cause my one is very coarse moving not smoothe or anywhere near accurate

I have the perspex cover off and when the speedo gets stuck I give it a tickle and it starts working again (tickled it half a dosen times for a half hour commute)

mudnut
28th July 2014, 08:19 PM
It sounds like a bit of crud caught in the bearing.

wannabeturboed
28th July 2014, 10:33 PM
Ill look into it sometime this week .thanks for the advice mudnut the milage is still clicking over accurately so it must be the speedo itself could it be that I pulled the needle off to gey to the back if so how do you put it back on properly

mudnut
28th July 2014, 11:40 PM
With great care. If the sticking problem has only started since you took the needle off, I am guessing you have damaged the bearing or the shaft. Try lifting the needle up a little as you may have just pushed it on too far and it may be touching the dial face.