PDA

View Full Version : main belt no moving?

DilboBaggins
25th July 2014, 07:46 PM
G'day guys, my brothers 2.8ltr turbo diesel patrol has abit of a problem. Its been hard to start for awhile now, changed the battery and it did help alot, but still struggles abit. He went to start it yesterday after work and noticed that battery light was on and this crunching sound like a buggered bearing and the notorious belt squeel coming from the engine. So he popped the bonnet and the main drive belt was not moving with the engine running. So I advised him to turn it off and get it towed. So the rac mechanic joint quoted a $1600 fix because the harmonic balancer pin broke or something like that, and the typical "well we should change the water pump and belt aswell" kinda bull**** they try. Any ideas on what it could be? Im thinking its the alternator pulley bearing? Thanks in advance

Family4x4
25th July 2014, 08:29 PM
Ask for a break down of the quote.

How old is the water pump?

Ben-e-boy
25th July 2014, 08:42 PM
G'day guys, my brothers 2.8ltr turbo diesel patrol has abit of a problem. Its been hard to start for awhile now, changed the battery and it did help alot, but still struggles abit. He went to start it yesterday after work and noticed that battery light was on and this crunching sound like a buggered bearing and the notorious belt squeel coming from the engine. So he popped the bonnet and the main drive belt was not moving with the engine running. So I advised him to turn it off and get it towed. So the rac mechanic joint quoted a $1600 fix because the harmonic balancer pin broke or something like that, and the typical "well we should change the water pump and belt aswell" kinda bull**** they try.Any ideas on what it could be? Im thinking its the alternator pulley bearing? Thanks in advance

So has the keyway broken on the harmonic balancer or is that speculation?

nissannewby
25th July 2014, 09:36 PM
I have seen a few cases of the keyway and key flogging out on the little 2.8 documented around these forums.

Rip the balancer off and inspect yourself if its stuffed get the repair.

DilboBaggins
26th July 2014, 02:17 AM
This is all speculation at the moment. That car is still at the rac joint because we didnt have time to grab it. Have to wait until Monday morning to have a look for myself. They definitely said "harmonic balancer pin" which I thought they meant key way but I do not know. So if it is this keyway, it wouldnt be $1600 worth would it? Cheers

nissannewby
26th July 2014, 06:53 AM
This is all speculation at the moment. That car is still at the rac joint because we didnt have time to grab it. Have to wait until Monday morning to have a look for myself. They definitely said "harmonic balancer pin" which I thought they meant key way but I do not know. So if it is this keyway, it wouldnt be $1600 worth would it? Cheers

If the keyway is damaged the best option is to remove the crank and have it repaired or replace the crank. So if someone else is doing the work then 1600 probably isnt to bad.

DilboBaggins
26th July 2014, 10:52 AM
Theres no cheap way outta this one isnt there? I was just having a read on a different thread and someone stated you can temporarily fix it was that liquid metal stuff, someone care to elaborate? Cheers

Col.T
28th July 2014, 07:23 PM
G'day Dilby,
can't help as not had the problem.
Would say though that a 'temp.' fix with liquid metal will be exactly that. Wouldn't trust that stuff in my motor as a rule.
Luck,
Col

DilboBaggins
28th July 2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks mate, this problem is what the mechanic said but id like to check which pulley is buggered. Do you knkw how to take all the belts off to check them? I cant find the tensioner pulley. Cherrs

Col.T
29th July 2014, 07:33 PM
Sorry mate,
no experience with that motor.
I'd be inclined though to follow the belt(s) round and after eliminating obvious pulleys such as A/C, alter/generator, main drive whatever, the last one should be the tensioner. I'd guess there's got to be one unless ALL the pulleys are individually adjustable but that would be a bit of a surprise.
Imagine the whole circuit is well hidded and near totally inaccessible. The bloody things usually are.
MAYBE just one unit is adjustable and the rest depend on that ??
You can tell I'm lost.
Keep looking until the hot word comes down,
Luck,
Col.

DilboBaggins
30th July 2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks mate, I think ill just leave it to the mechanic for a diagnosis

happygu
31st July 2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks mate, I think ill just leave it to the mechanic for a diagnosis

Dilbo,

I am pretty sure the mechanic will be right, as it is the harmonic balancer pulley which drives all the belts and accessories directly off the crankshaft.

The harmonic balancer pulley is bolted onto the crankshaft, and has a key in the crank and the pulley in which a 'square' type key is inserted, to ensure that the pulley turns with the crank.

No belts turning means that the pulley is just spinning on the shaft - broken/damaged keyway, or broken crank ..... :(

Mic

Avo
31st July 2014, 12:37 AM
Yup what he said..

krbrooking
31st July 2014, 12:45 AM
If you want to access the tensioner you will have to take the plastic trimming cover off and you will see it. To do this you will need to remove all pulleys/ belts to get the cover off. You can how ever pull the harmonic balancer off with out doing this, you will then be able to see if the keys are stripped out. On mine there is two keys from memory.

When the motor was running was the belt slipping on the pulley or was the pulley moving and the belt stationary.

I will try and dig out some pics I have of mine and post them up Tom some time.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

krbrooking
5th August 2014, 08:49 AM
Here are those pics that I promised the other day. With the plastic cover on. 47950 With it off, note the small pulley that is the tensioner. 47951 The belt orientation and pulleys. 47952 Close up. 47953 The next two are of the key way in the crank. 47954 47955

DilboBaggins
13th August 2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks heaps mate, ive taken off the radiator and some other bits but need someone to get the balancer off because I dont have a pulley puller :/