PDA

View Full Version : GQ TD42t Precleaner Air Cleaners, Worthwhile in Cities or Not?

Chimo
23rd July 2014, 05:17 PM
Do GQ 4.2 turbo owners reckon its worth using the pre-cleaner air cleaner filter elements when running around town ie on road (bitumen) in cities.

I don't doubt the value of the pre cleaner off road but do the motors breath better, with possible better economy, without them while in town?

My main air cleaner never has any dust or dirt in it while the pre cleaner does. Does one need both in town?

Your thoughts and knowledge on this please.

Thanks

Cheers
Chimo

MudRunnerTD
23rd July 2014, 05:43 PM
I dont know anyone that has a precleaner fitted to a TD42T. Most places remove the precleaner when they fit the turbo as the air restriction is too great. I used to run one of those socks in my snorkel from Unifilter and no longer run it either. It used to catch heaps of stuff.

once you fit an intercooler you loose the top mounted air filter anyways so your looking for an alternative. I have modified the pre cleaner box for better flow and fit a GU primary filter in there, others run a ZD30 air box in that location.

Col.T
23rd July 2014, 06:37 PM
G'day Chimo
reckon Muddie's right. No matter where you're driving, clean air into the wagon is better than 'not too bad' air, let alone 'could be worse' air.
The better the cleaning (whether air, oil or fuel) the better the engine life so it pays to get a much as you can.
Some good ideas there. Don't go lazy or roughie,
Col