PDA

View Full Version : After Market Intercooler & Engine Bay temps

Coogs
23rd July 2014, 04:03 PM
In an effort to reduce EGT's I'm considering whether to install a T&C Intercooler. If it's considered effective I'd go ahead even though it's a pricey item.
In addition, to help reduce engine bay temps, has anyone fitted spacers to raise the rear (windscreen end) of the bonnet. I've noted forum comments relating to 12mm of washers siliconed together used as spacers.
Has any member actually done that and if so does it work or is it just an easy route for bulldust and rain to enter the engine bay??
:feedback:
Will appreciate comments.
Gr8t forum this one!
:):smile:

Col.T
23rd July 2014, 07:03 PM
G'day Coogs,
I loved the idea of raising the back end of the bonnet to vastly increase air flow over the whole engine. Alternatively a second (reversed) air scoop over the turbo area to suck out the greatest heat.
Then someone said it would breach some bloody regs./laws because any oil from an exploding engine could flow over the windscreen and obscure vision. Or some such.
If you've got a free month or so, it's on a thread somewhere. Sorry I can't get the precise details but one of the gurus may come good.
Luck,
Col

nissannewby
23rd July 2014, 07:09 PM
Why do you want to reduce temps?

Believe it or not your vehicle is designed to make a low pressure area towards the rear of the engine and down and out. This inbuilt design allows more air to be drawn through. Keeping water and dust out is only one reason why your bonnet has sealing rubbers.

Ben-e-boy
23rd July 2014, 08:03 PM
Also the area at the bottom of the windscreen is high pressure, an opening at the back of the bonnet will actually force air in not suck it out.

Coogs
24th July 2014, 06:32 PM
Col.T .... thanks for that!. I am definately looking for a way of reducing the high ambient engine bay temps. Had thought of an other reverse fitted scoop but didn't like the idea of cutting into the bonnet. I may have to re-think that option.
T'was sceptical about spacing the bonnet. Lot of CRD's over here (WA) and never seen that done. I suspect in event of insurance claim that spacing the bonnet might prove problematic.
Do you have any comment relating to T&C Intercooler?

Coogs
24th July 2014, 06:59 PM

Believe it or not your vehicle is designed to make a low pressure area towards the rear of the engine and down and out. This inbuilt design allows more air to be drawn through. Keeping water and dust out is only one reason why your bonnet has sealing rubbers.

Thanks nissannewby ........ I imagine the addition of bull bars, driving lights, winch together with after-market additions inside the engine bay would likely hamper the flow of air. My bay is quite cramped. Would like to hasten the exit of eng bay ambient temps, so for the moment I'll keep investigating.
Do you have any feedback about T&C Intercoolers fitted to CRD's?

Coogs
24th July 2014, 07:03 PM
Also the area at the bottom of the windscreen is high pressure, an opening at the back of the bonnet will actually force air in not suck it out.
Thanks for the comment. I've dropped the idea of spacing the bonnet. If there's regulation prohibiting it then perhaps insurance cover becomes problematic. Not going to take the chance.

nissannewby
24th July 2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks nissannewby ........ I imagine the addition of bull bars, driving lights, winch together with after-market additions inside the engine bay would likely hamper the flow of air. My bay is quite cramped. Would like to hasten the exit of eng bay ambient temps, so for the moment I'll keep investigating.
Do you have any feedback about T&C Intercoolers fitted to CRD's?

T&C? Where are they based and what are they offering?

Coogs
24th July 2014, 07:45 PM

Sorry- didn't answer your question "why reduce temps".
Last year, Bloomfield Track towing Tvan with GCVM @ 4530klg, EGT 660c, 2nd then 1st low range auto, speed- barely crawling. If the EGT's hit 700c for minimum seconds then the motor 'internally combusts'. B/c of that and other high-ish EGT's I'm looking to reduce input Intercooler and ambient eng bay temps.
I have to admit being partly to blame forgeting to re-tune the chip to towing and as a consequence feathering the throttle attempting to keep the EGT from rising- mistake!. But as such my thought remains 3L CRD's EGT's do get too high driving to conditions. Don't get me wrong, love the Patrol. It's never failed to do anything asked of it BUT the EGT's are an issue for me. ........... If fitting a T&C Intercooler (with integral fan) would drop temps by 80- 100c I'd probably bite the 'pricey' bullet and fit it. Will appreciate comment and experience of others.

nissannewby
24th July 2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah my question was aimed at the engine bay temp reduction.

If the intercooler does a good job then your engine bay temp should also come down. If the cooler can keep your egt below 500 then your radiant heat from turbo and exhaust will be greatly reduced.

As for having a winch bar,lights etc there should still be sufficient air flow. Things like the small plastic guard at the front below your radiator and the rubber curtains inside you guards all play a factor in the air flow. These should try to be kept in good condition.

Coogs
24th July 2014, 08:09 PM
T&C? Where are they based and what are they offering?

Sorry ... my mistake- manufacturer is Cross Country, South Australia, Ph: 08 8357 5993.
http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=113

Basically their aussie made intercooler is quality built, has "4x times the flow area of the OEM intercooler with PWR core and integral 10" blade fan that provides excellent thermal transfer at low speeds".
There is no need to cut into the bonnet however the existing air scoop rubber seal must be trimmed.
Reports suggest their intercooler can drop EGT's by upto 100c. I'd like to speak to anyone that has one fitted to a Patrol CRD.
The cost is a bit pricey at $1500.00c
That's what I have at the moment but if anyone wants, would be pleased to pass further info that comes to hand.

nissannewby
24th July 2014, 08:13 PM
Cross country do a very good unit mate. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience will pop in shortly.

Coogs
24th July 2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks nissannewby. I'm re-assured they do a good unit. Have checked out some other intercoolers but the influence of 'China built or parts' is a concern related to reliability.
Keep my fingers crossed a forum member has a CC fitted.............. Cheers

nipagu7
24th July 2014, 08:35 PM
if the car performs well in most situations ,why not just fit a fan to your existing IC and manually switch it on and off when doing slow heavy work . much cheaper and you will have a better idea of what to expect if you decide to go a new IC .

NewDan
26th July 2014, 01:45 PM
Hey there buddy. Ive got a 07 CRD with a Cross country intercooler. Cant really compare it to a std intercooler because it was fitted when I bought the truck, but the guy I bought it from did say when he fitted it it knocked at least 50 of the top of the egt. Also once when I had an intermittent problem with the truck and called a mobile mechanic (this guys was into 4wds himself) we went out for a drive with his little gismo attached to the ecu, we were only doing about 45 - 50kmh at the time but he turned to me and said " that larger intercooler of yours is really working, the gauges are reading your intercooler temp at only 20 degrees C". that had me convinced it was a good thing at the time. Hope that helps you some. Dan

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2014, 03:31 PM
Cross Country do a great product, quite a few guys have them here. Would be my choice .

The Nissan IC is famous for leaking and inefficiency. The CC IC even the same size is a big upgrade, going to a larger unit with a bigger bonnet scoop would be even better.

Stropp has a CC IC larger unit with the big scoop. Looks good

Snick has the CC IC on her CRD and likes it allot.

Coogs
27th July 2014, 02:27 PM
Following feedback from above members and comments on the Patrol 4x4 forum, I've decided today to get the CC Intercooler. The reduction in EGT's is 50- 100c. Suspect the 100c drop is from 3L Di motor but all CRD owners with the CCI have reported a worthwhile benefit.
Thanks for all comments- just what I needed!!

threedogs
27th July 2014, 04:23 PM
what boost are you running

mudski
28th July 2014, 11:22 PM
Following feedback from above members and comments on the Patrol 4x4 forum, I've decided today to get the CC Intercooler. The reduction in EGT's is 50- 100c. Suspect the 100c drop is from 3L Di motor but all CRD owners with the CCI have reported a worthwhile benefit.
Thanks for all comments- just what I needed!!

My egt's dropped that by just changing the scoop to an A.R.E scoop with a stock IC. Changed the ic, not a CC cooler, and the egt's remained the same but did notice they drop slightly faster than before.

jet
29th July 2014, 11:16 AM
Air is sucked out below engine, the plastic air dam at the front underneath helps create suck, if its damaged or gone engine bay can heat up
Id say lifts, bullbars etcetc all have effects until it doesnt work too well

My EGT vary a great deal summer and winter??

Coogs
29th July 2014, 01:31 PM
Hey threedogs, Just running 'standard boost'. At times has spiked just over 21psi but I've read that the CRD handles/manages/tolerates boost better than the 3L Di. Read somewhere on this forum that the CRD does OK w/o Dawes etc. What do u think? .........

Coogs
29th July 2014, 01:48 PM
My egt's dropped that by just changing the scoop to an A.R.E scoop with a stock IC. Changed the ic, not a CC cooler, and the egt's remained the same but did notice they drop slightly faster than before.

Decided to upgrade the intercooler now rather than later. Will see how that effects EGT's & performance. Should say performance for me is about towing 1.5t camper trailer. had some scary EGT's last year on Bloomfield & Kingfisher way.
Have checked the ARE scoop but after paying for the CCI another $585 is bit much to soon. Do you know anything about "Barneys Scoop"?

threedogs
29th July 2014, 02:22 PM
do you think you are getting value for money spent with a CC intercooler dropping 50 to 100 degrees, I get that with my set up over STD
as Mudski said with an OE tigged IC and a larger scoop will have you plenty $$$$$ left over for other mods.
Just don't want to see you blow your $$$ when for less you can achieve the save thing

Ben-e-boy
29th July 2014, 02:41 PM
do you think you are getting value for money spent with a CC intercooler dropping 50 to 100 degrees, I get that with my set up over STD
as Mudski said with an OE tigged IC and a larger scoop will have you plenty $$$$$ left over for other mods.
Just don't want to see you blow your $$$ when for less you can achieve the save thing

Just about every intercooler on the market will give you that kind of reduction. The difference is how long until the heat overcomes it and its tank and core design/quality
Even my intercooler takes about that off, but on the long hills, (out of marysville when I was down there for example) AB hit 500 no cooler and backed off, winnie hit 400 and backed off, I was still at 280 and I didnt back off