PDA

View Full Version : Cracked engine block?

CamperTroll
22nd July 2014, 11:47 PM
Attempting to take the front propshaft off yesterday, when the sump guard and splash guards were off I noticed what looks like a crack in the bottom of the engine block.

I can feel it when running a finger over it, but it doesn't appear to be leaking.

What worries me is that it run from one bolt hole to another, then underneath the bracket at the top of the pic and over to another bolt hole.

What are you thoughts on this? Is it something to worry about? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance

CamperTroll
23rd July 2014, 01:15 AM
Actually thinking about it, is this technically the oil pan? (Photo taken from underneath, lying on my back looking up at the engine)

If so, am I right in thinking that it can be replaced with the engine still in the car? Which would then make it a much easier repair job?

Cheers
Matt

krbrooking
23rd July 2014, 01:26 AM
To me that looks like it is cast iron so it won't be your oil pan. Do you know if the engine has been out and repaired before, if so it could be an old crack and was welded internally hence no leaking. But you would think it would have been welded both sides for extra strength.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

Clunk
23rd July 2014, 01:42 AM
are you able to take a photo slightly more zoomed out?

CamperTroll
23rd July 2014, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys, yeah its definitely cast iron - bottom of the main engine housing. Couple of extra photos:

Col.T
24th July 2014, 07:48 PM
G'day C T,
never seen that on any of my cars so guess I'm not an expert. Knew that anyway.
BUT, if it IS a crack and it's as major as it looks, I'd expect it to be at least as bad on the other side of the casting or possibly worse, and you'd have a leak by now. Maybe?
I wonder if it could be simply just a mark in the casting mould? May be that after repeated castings, the mould itself has warped and is leaving that 'crease' in the finished unit. Wouldn't expect that but in the real world just ocasionally perfection isn't quite achieved. Even by car makers.
Get the impression you do your own servicing. If so, reckon I'd keep going as normal but pay close attention to your oil level and look for leaks down there pretty regularly at least for a while.
Hope I'm not leading you astray 'cause it'd be a real bummer to just crest Ben Nevis and dump the lot.
Luck,
Col

Parksy
24th July 2014, 07:58 PM
Give it a good clean up with degreaser and a rag. This way you will have a better idea of what you're working with. What engine is it? Is that the front of the engine? I'm still not 100 percent sure on what i'm looking at, but i'd be removing the sump and using a torch and mirror to hopefully see the inside of that crack and hopefully work out an easy solution.

CamperTroll
24th July 2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, I really hope it is just a casting imperfection but the more I look at it the more I'm not convinced. I tried degreasing and cleaning it up a little last night.

There's no leaking from the 'crack' from what I can see, although there is a leak which looks like its the rear crank seal.

I've added a couple more pictures, the first you can see lower engine pulley at the top of the photo (the blurry bar running across is the steering damper) does that help with showing where it is:

Also looks like the crack runs all the way to the sump pan as well (sump pan at the bottom of the photo, the crack is running vertically from this on the cleaner bit on the left of the picture):

Parksy
25th July 2014, 07:51 AM
Is it part of the block or does it look like you can unbolt it? It's an unusual looking sump pan, but then surely it cannot be part of the block either, otherwise, how would they get the crank into the engine? Part of the timing cover maybe? Either way, check if it can be removed, then all is good. Remove it, take it to someone who can repair it and bolt it back on.

Robo
25th July 2014, 12:23 PM
Sure I read cast iron above,
to me it looks like cast alloy and that can be welded easily.
but there is alot of casting dags near the area.
so I'd also be saying it's a casting flaw and it may only be on the surface due to no oil is leaking.

CamperTroll
25th July 2014, 08:05 PM
I've got hold of a service manual, looks like it its the "oil pan upper":

Agreed, it does look like alloy now that i've leaned it up. I don't know much about the ZD engines, so not entirely sure.

What worrying me is that the removal steps state 'Separate the transmission', not sure if this just means undo the bolts between the oil pan and the tranny, or whether the whole things needs to be separated from the engine. The manual isn't that clear.

I'm getting my garage to have a look at it Saturday morning, so hopefully then can confirm how serious this is.

CamperTroll
28th July 2014, 07:01 PM
Good news, garage thinks that is a casting line. Keep an eye on it is the advice, so hopefully I can stop worrying about it :)