PDA

View Full Version : Choises

Kev223
22nd July 2014, 09:08 PM
I have a small dilemma, I've got to choose what to purchase first a front ARB Diff Locker or a winch still tossing up what winch to get.

My question to you all what would you get first.

Bloodyaussie
22nd July 2014, 09:15 PM
I have found since having the locker I almost never use my winch but they are a must have for so many reasons....

paulyg
22nd July 2014, 09:21 PM
I would get the winch first, you can still get stuck with a locker, and with out a winch getting out might be difficult.

mudski
22nd July 2014, 09:23 PM
I have both but I would go a winch. A winch will get you out of the poo more times than a locker will. But as BA stated, having a locker you may use the winch less...

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2014, 09:42 PM
With little experience and no front locker, I have already utilised my winch.
Runva winches are a great choice.

happygu
22nd July 2014, 09:46 PM
I rarely use the winch for myself......but I would get the winch first, as it will help in more places ......a locker won't generally ensure that you will get out of a boggy hole, but the winch will

macca86
22nd July 2014, 09:50 PM
If you drive solo then winch if you only head out with mates diff lock and other recovery gear

Kev223
22nd July 2014, 09:58 PM
Ok I always go with mates never hit the tracks on my own so I was heading towards the air locker, you all making a fair point.

Ben-e-boy
22nd July 2014, 10:02 PM
I have had a winch for nearly a year, I have only used the winch to remove a tree that didnt need to be removed, I just wanted to test it, I have been locked for a long time.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2014, 10:06 PM
I have had a winch for nearly a year, I have only used the winch to remove a tree that didnt need to be removed, I just wanted to test it, I have been locked for a long time.

But you drive a tractor. Lol

krbrooking
22nd July 2014, 10:10 PM
Like said before IMO a winch would be the first I would get as there may also be times that you get stuck and your mates are unable to get to a safe point to pull or winch out where as a winch will always be where you are.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

Family4x4
22nd July 2014, 10:45 PM
I have a small dilemma, I've got to choose what to purchase first a front ARB Diff Locker or a winch still tossing up what winch to get.

My question to you all what would you get first.

I have just contemplated that same choice. I chose the winch first, as someone said a locker sometimes can just get you stuck even more and a winch will get you out.

Our next purchase will probably be a "e locker" rather than an "air locker".

MudRunnerTD
22nd July 2014, 10:59 PM
Interesting choices. A decent winch will cost less than half the cost of an Airlocker fitted to the front. I would go the locker first and quickly the winch soon after. If you don't drive alone hen you will use the locker 100 times before you pull your winch cable out I bet.

I have a winch on the front of my GUIV but have never used it in anger. The rear has a wicked LSD and the things a beast.

Front locker for me.

@GUte
23rd July 2014, 11:33 AM
I'd go for the locker.

Use your hilift if at a chance you do get stuck.

The winch is something rarely used for most of us being mostly an insurance.

threedogs
23rd July 2014, 02:26 PM
Having a locker will only get you stuck further in than normal,
If travelling solo I'd be going for the winch which would make you self sufficient and not relying on anyone else,
The Patrol already has a very good rear LSD,

Bobo63
23rd July 2014, 10:08 PM
But you drive a tractor. Lol

Go the winch first!! Diff locks can sometimes get you really stuck!!!

Drewboyaus
23rd July 2014, 11:17 PM
Does depend on the type of driving you do.
But: Picture dropping down a steep high country hill, down into your favourite fishing spot, you set up camp and enjoy a fish......overnight it pisses with rain and the track you just came down is now undrivable (even dual locked). The river is rising. What do you do? You winch your farking arse up the hill and out of there is what you do.
That very scenario happened to me and a mate about 5 years ago and it was 3 hrs of solid winching to get back up a hill we had been going up and down quite happily the day before. Not even dual lockers would get us up in the rain.
I say winch.
My patrol (currently without locker) has got me to most places I want to go and back again but the winch is handy insurance for when you can't drive the obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

threedogs
24th July 2014, 10:06 AM
when fitting the front locker its a good time to change or
repack bearings and anything else that may need attention.
Whole different style of driving with a locker bordering on boring some times .
Great for slow technical stuff where wheel placement is paramount