PDA

View Full Version : Big end oh no!!!

Beni C
22nd July 2014, 03:29 PM
So I dropped the bus off last night to have the rear main seal replaced, noticed it was leaking on Thursday, didnt drive it again until yesterday to drop it off at the mechanics, plus checked the oil and there seemed to be plenty in it.

The mechanic rang, advised that it was bone dry so they filled it back up and apprently she has a nasty knock now, suspect the big end bearing. I havent been back to the mechanics to check it out yet, headed there after work.

She was driving like a dream besides leaking a bit of oil so I dont really understand how now all of a sudden she is knackered.

What I want to know is, if the big end has to be replaced am I looking at a complete rebuild? If so can you WA fellas recommend someone to do it?

Pretty gutted at the moment as you can imagine and am still in a bit of dissaray as what to do next.

Any help as always greatly appreciated.

Bloodyaussie
22nd July 2014, 05:03 PM
All sounds a bit odd to me???

So you have not heard the car run since you dropped it off.

Beni C
22nd July 2014, 05:08 PM
Na mate, still at work so havent heard it yet.

Have rung Robson Bros and TT Automotive and both think it is a bit suss, especially for my vehicles age, 2008 and kms, has only done 115000.

Have got a verbal indication at about $4k for a crank regrind and big end bearing if it is that, will def be after a second opinion.

I had no oil light come on or anything while I was driving it.

happygu
22nd July 2014, 05:14 PM
Beni,

No oil can do that - and it will flog out the bearings fairly fast......

Did you check to see if there was still oil after you dropped it off, as if there was then that tells a different story

Depending on what damage has occurred, you could look at just removing the sump, check the bearing shells and crankshaft. If the crank is OK, then it may be only a matter of replacing the bearings, and reassembling.....

Let's hope that there is no more damage, as no oil could also mean scoring or pickup in the piston bores, which would then facilitate a full rebuild

snicko
22nd July 2014, 05:25 PM
Na mate, still at work so havent heard it yet.

Have rung Robson Bros and TT Automotive and both think it is a bit suss, especially for my vehicles age, 2008 and kms, has only done 115000.

Have got a verbal indication at about $4k for a crank regrind and big end bearing if it is that, will def be after a second opinion.

I had no oil light come on or anything while I was driving it.

Go with your gut feeling. Does sound a bit suss. Don't let them bully you into anything either.

Beni C
22nd July 2014, 05:31 PM
Happy, I didnt check the oil after I dropped it off mate, perhaps I should have but there was no indication, she was running fine nnd no engine light.

I know where I parked it when I dropped it off so will be having a good look to see how much oil is on the ground. The leak was evident but not massive, she wouldnt have been loosing litres thats for sure.

Col.T
22nd July 2014, 07:32 PM
Beni,
what a bummer.
Not experienced anything like that (touch wood) so can't help.
However, if you had a leak which you were taking it in to get fixed, it's just possible that on the way the seal/gasket whatever gave way big time but you got there just before the big grinding got obvious. Big oil dump on the road and not much at the mechanics. Be a big coincidence maybe but maybe possible as well.
Luck,
Col.

Cuppa
22nd July 2014, 09:33 PM
am I looking at a complete rebuild? If so can you WA fellas recommend someone to do it?

I sincerely hope it wont be necessary, but if it is I do have a recommendation. One I like to give because in my 27 years in Australia this place is the ONLY workshop I have ever experienced that I am confident to recommend. They are top notch. They are a combined workshop & engine reconditioners with all the latest top quality diagnostic & machining gear under one roof. They are also one of the very few workshops where I have felt properly listened to. I recommend them without hesitation.

Avon Precision Engineering Service, Northam, WA (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/wa/northam/avon-precision-engine-service-13522383-listing.html)

Figjam
23rd July 2014, 02:28 AM
Sounds a bit suss losing almost all oil through rear main seal. Oil splashes into this area and is unlikely to flow out freely without a complete seal failure.

Beni C
23rd July 2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks fellas.

So went down to the mechanic last night, ever the slightest knock coming from the big end, I had trouble hearing it so hopefully we are onto it early and only the bearing needs to be replaced. She is on her way to Robson Bros today for further diagnosis.

Will keep yas posted as to the progress.

Bloodyaussie
23rd July 2014, 10:15 AM
Good luck mate.... hope for the best.

kevin07
23rd July 2014, 04:32 PM
i cant imagine loosing that much oil it would be splashed all over the place if you started to listen it would be throwing it everywhere is it. if it is ok. if not your getting bs shoved in your ears.

Beni C
24th July 2014, 04:15 PM
So dropped into Robsons last night to discuss with the boys what was going to happen next. Craig the service manager said that the idler pully was knackered which I was already aware of and advised to change that out first as it was making a hellva racket and they wanted to mitigate any extra noise in order to make a better diagnosis but besides that they had it up on the hoist and were convinced that the big end hasn't gone.

Received a phone call about an hour ago after they replaced the idler pulley assembly and they still dont reckon the big end is gone. They cant do the rear main seal until next week so I have some time to decide whether to tell them to rip the sump off or not and inspect it but these guys seem pretty sure there is no issue.

All I can look at is the evidence, I made sure she was topped up, she was running fine and I had no oil light come on any point.

mudnut
24th July 2014, 05:28 PM
Amazing the difference between workshops. Even if you decide too get the bottom end inspected, for piece of mind, it is only a few hours labour.

Beni C
31st July 2014, 05:59 PM
End result.

The mechanic at Robson basically said not to waste my money on them checking the big end as they haven’t heard of one failing yet and they had a surprising number of GU's in there so I guess they work on few. Rear main seal and idler pulley assembly done, drive it home yesterday arvo and she is still running like a dream albeit without an oil leak.
Had a good chat to mate over the weekend who is diesel mechanic by trade and even he was very sceptical. He also explained to me how the big end works and what happens when one does go. Wait and see I suppose.

Bought some Roadside Assistance just in case but even if she does go its nothing I am going to stress over, if it happens it happens.