PDA

View Full Version : Start problem

Shaft10
21st July 2014, 11:09 PM
Ok fellas I just went to go to town turned the key and there was 2 obvious clicks then nothin. I don't rekin it's the battery cos it started fine an hour ago. Any ideas on what it might be??? 93 gq ute td42. The starter and ignition fuses next to battery look ok still. Any help would be awesome cheers

Avo
21st July 2014, 11:13 PM
have you tried shorting the starter motor out to see if it'll start like that,Do they have a main fuse?

graeme1969
Loose battery terminal connection maybe?

happygu
Batteries can lose a cell just like that, and not have enough oomph to turn over an engine, especially one like the 4.2 which doesn't just turn over easily...

Check battery voltage with a multimeter and make sure that it isn't dropping off when you crank it

Shaft10
21st July 2014, 11:19 PM
Won't even try to crank that's why I was thinking there might be another fuse somewhere. Leads look fine in collie at moment and got a wet ass stuffin around with it so will have another go when rain stops. Just the way it clicked then nothin made me think something blew

Shaft10
21st July 2014, 11:21 PM
have you tried shorting the starter motor out to see if it'll start like that,Do they have a main fuse?

So how do I do that mate never had to do it before

Avo
21st July 2014, 11:24 PM
where the power cable goes to the starter and bolts on..touch that bolt and the other bolt that's there..should short out and wind over,might spark a bit but you'll find out if it winds over..if you do this with the ignition on and car out of gear it'll get you going again,if it fire's up..If it winds over but doesn't start it'll be a fuse most likely

happygu
21st July 2014, 11:25 PM
Could be a few things....

It could be a bad connection at the battery or starter
It could be a worn out starter solenoid
It could be a bad battery
It could be a faulty ignition switch

It you can check battery voltages first.

Mic

Shaft10
21st July 2014, 11:28 PM
Ok cheers fellas will try those and see where I'm at. Thanks for the advice