PDA

View Full Version : How do you change an engine mount?

macca
21st July 2014, 09:25 PM
What bolts get undone?
How do you support engine?
How do you access some of the bolts?
Need help ASAP please.
Mines a 4.2 diesel.

megatexture
21st July 2014, 09:29 PM
I've only done it in a Camry but I used a jack and a bit of rubber on the sump to protect it and just hold the load and proceed to remove it it was straight forward ... But that was a Camry lol

macca
21st July 2014, 09:32 PM
But that was a Camry lol
You are a whole lot of help LOL

mudski
21st July 2014, 10:27 PM
What bolts get undone?
How do you support engine?
How do you access some of the bolts?
Need help ASAP please.
Mines a 4.2 diesel.

You have to take pics macca. ?.

nissannewby
21st July 2014, 10:58 PM
There is one nut and 4 bolts. You then need to lift the engine enough to slip the mount out and install the new one. Passenger side is pretty easy, drivers side is a little more difficult due to the placement of the injector pump but it is doable. I have used a trolley jack and a length of 4x2 under the very edge of the sump where the bolts hold it on. An engine crane would make it easier. Take note the front of the car will lift quite a bit until you take the weight of the engine.

Also be careful not to hoist or jack the engine to far.

mudnut
21st July 2014, 11:02 PM
I remember nailing a few bits of wood together to make a bit of a cradle to use on our van. Instead of putting weight on the sump, it lifted the motor via the sump bolts. It made the job a hell of a lot easier.

happygu
21st July 2014, 11:20 PM
Engine crane or block and tackle makes it easy......

Don't put a jack straight under the middle of the sump as it wont hold and you will be fairly disappointed with the result.

As Nissannewby has mentioned, you can jack on the edge on the sump where it is bolted to the block, but you need to be extremely careful, as you don't want it to slip

megatexture
21st July 2014, 11:55 PM
You are a whole lot of help LOL

Haha I was on right on track lmao

macca
22nd July 2014, 07:29 AM
There is one nut and 4 bolts. You then need to lift the engine enough to slip the mount out and install the new one. Passenger side is pretty easy, drivers side is a little more difficult due to the placement of the injector pump but it is doable. I have used a trolley jack and a length of 4x2 under the very edge of the sump where the bolts hold it on. An engine crane would make it easier. Take note the front of the car will lift quite a bit until you take the weight of the engine.

Also be careful not to hoist or jack the engine to far.

You don't take the 4 bolts off the side of the block and take the mount and upper bracket out as one?

Seems the engine needs to be lifted quite high to get the top stud clear enough to get it out, and do you do one at a time or remove both at once?

Thanks for your reply, I will have another look tomorrow and follow your instructions, it is a pain to fit spanners in the limited space.

A ratchet ring spanner seems best once they have been loosened.

macca
22nd July 2014, 07:32 AM
I remember nailing a few bits of wood together to make a bit of a cradle to use on our van. Instead of putting weight on the sump, it lifted the motor via the sump bolts. It made the job a hell of a lot easier.

Engine crane or block and tackle makes it easy......

Don't put a jack straight under the middle of the sump as it wont hold and you will be fairly disappointed with the result.

As Nissannewby has mentioned, you can jack on the edge on the sump where it is bolted to the block, but you need to be extremely careful, as you don't want it to slip

I had looked at jacking from the bell housing as it looked safer from a slip but is a long way back, will have a look at your suggestions, thanks guys.

nissannewby
22nd July 2014, 08:07 AM
You don't take the 4 bolts off the side of the block and take the mount and upper bracket out as one?

Seems the engine needs to be lifted quite high to get the top stud clear enough to get it out, and do you do one at a time or remove both at once?

Thanks for your reply, I will have another look tomorrow and follow your instructions, it is a pain to fit spanners in the limited space.

A ratchet ring spanner seems best once they have been loosened.

You can and it will make it a little easier. The 4 bolts I mentioned hold the mount to chassis bracket. If you remove all the bolts in both the chassis side and the block side it will be easier. If you are gonna do the jack method I would just do one side at a time. Yes it does have to go quite high.

Its coming back to me now, I would remove the 4 bolts from the block side as well. I had to do this on the last gu I did. The time I didnt remove the engine bracket was on a body lifted GQ.

As for tools wobble extensions forca 1/2" ratchet do help.

threedogs
22nd July 2014, 10:00 AM
I've only done it in a Camry but I used a jack and a bit of rubber on the sump to protect it and just hold the load and proceed to remove it it was straight forward ... But that was a Camry lol

I wouldn't be lifting it buy the sump but by the edge as NN suggests

macca
22nd July 2014, 10:52 AM
You can and it will make it a little easier. The 4 bolts I mentioned hold the mount to chassis bracket. If you remove all the bolts in both the chassis side and the block side it will be easier. If you are gonna do the jack method I would just do one side at a time. Yes it does have to go quite high.

Its coming back to me now, I would remove the 4 bolts from the block side as well. I had to do this on the last gu I did. The time I didnt remove the engine bracket was on a body lifted GQ.

As for tools wobble extensions forca 1/2" ratchet do help.

What you are saying is making sense to me after looking at the job yesterday arvo. Access to the block bolts from the wheel arch looks easier. Will report back with my findings. Thanks again.

Clunk
22nd July 2014, 01:42 PM
On my tb42 I went with the lifting under the sump method, with a good piece of 4x2 between trolley jack and sump. Chocked the rear wheels and Jack stands under the chassis rails
Also had to undo the 4 bolts on the engine block as I wasn't able to lift high enough. Passenger side was a bitch but easier than the drivers side.

macca
22nd July 2014, 03:30 PM
Hard to see but it looks like the rubber is splitting and the safety shows sign of contact, especially compared to a new one

macca
22nd July 2014, 04:59 PM
Got one of the little buggers in this arvo, a pain but having some success.
Drivers side, the other "looks" easier and is the one that's split I think.
The one I took out looked split but isn't!
I know they are good for the Flinders' Trip later in the year.

billyj
22nd July 2014, 05:16 PM
do your self a favour and fit a superior unbreakable mount to the lhs at least, so many times stronger and about the same price as a std mount rubber. as above nice piece of timber under the sump to spread the load

macca
23rd July 2014, 05:20 PM
What a PITA at last they are in. The left was split at least 50%. So it did need replacing. Buggers of location to get bolts tight especially when laying on my back on garage floor. A hoist job for sure.
Any way they are done.

jimspenz
1st August 2014, 03:29 PM
I removed almost al the other mounts first (I think I just left the upper left mount in) and then supported the engine with a jack.
This way you can move and 'rotate' the engine a little bit, and create more space at the rear mount. I could easily remove the mount this way and put the new one in.

BigRAWesty
24th December 2014, 06:44 PM
Well sorry macca but I think the mounts were quite easy.
3 hours complete. Both.
I did spray all the nuts with penatreen last night, but they wernt overly tight anyway.

So being an NA td42 the passenger side was quite easy. All from above the guard.
I used a socket an wrench for all the bolts, then the 2 bottom bolts into the mount needed the wobble end.

Drivers side is more difficult but I did all mine from under the car.
Used a socket and wrench for all but 2 bolts again. The 2 bottom block bolts need a spanner.

All bolts require a 17mm socket or spanner. Was happy about that.

I undid the chassis mount first.
Jacked the engine with a piece of 130x35 timber about 300 long. It sat on the sump flange between the harmonic balancer, sump edge and drag link like a bug in a rug.
So once chassis bolts were out I lifted the engine until there was a bit of gap between mount and chassis.

Now undo the block bolts.
You'll notice the drivers side one has an extra price in it. I guess it's extra strength due to the Mount being lower to clear the pump.
Anyway remove the 2 across bolts and remove the spacer price from the mount.
Then you can remove the block bolts easy. All from underneath.

So once out replace the mounts and then install in reverse steps.
Block bolts first and tighten, then the spacer and tighten..
Then chassis bolts while still in the air.
Slowly lower the engine down and then tighten.

Anyway. I found my issue lol.
This one was the passenger side. And yes they are supposed to be one piece lol...

This one looks like it was about to go. Was moving enough to rub anyway so yea. Was time.

Anyway. Enjoy

macca
24th December 2014, 09:01 PM
Funny faaarker, where were you when I needed a hand.
Took the aux battery and tray out of mine and there's the mount. Easy as to get to. Should have taken them out when I did my mounts.

BigRAWesty
24th December 2014, 10:24 PM
Aw yea. I did remove them. So much easier.